IGNORED

ICYMI: PSA from the UBNJ

Flyarcher.X

Been there done that,its not worth going through all that B.S. to kill a deer, so watch what you wish for:up: IMO let the townships that don't allow hunting pay out their arses for deer control until they realize its useless, who knows some day they may come knocking.

No one said you had to participate in any of these hunts. I have been a member of the UBNJ for about 18 years and have never even thought about signing up for one. I became more involved becoming a Council member after Murphy banned the bear hunt and I am not a bear hunter but this kind of attitude by indifferent hunters is how we have been losing our rights and way of life around the country.

We can get the bear hunt back and protect our right to deer hunt while doing a public service with these various township hunts if we all band together. That involves getting our membership up so we can get grants from national organizations as well as self fund the fight in court when we have idiots in power like Murphy.

Stop the bitching and get involved with the conservation group of your choice. If you are a Bowhunter and have some issue with the UBNJ contact me off line and we will discuss it and address it.

The time has come to take a page out of the Anti’s playbook and use our clout against them. The average person has no feelings for or against hunting. But as the saying goes the squeaky wheel gets the grease well we need the grease!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elite Pure, CBE Tek Hybrid, 10" B-Stinger stabilizer, Limbdriver rest , Alpine Soft Loc 5 Quiver, Muzzy 100 4 bld, Slick Trick Viper Trick Red Head Gator broadheads, Beman ICS Hunter 400 28" ,Scott Quick Shot release, Vortex 8.5X50 Vultures  :cheers:

Controlled" hunts" are not hunting by any means so don't get the two confused

They aren’t high fence so by definition they are free range real hunting regardless of the number of deer per square mile.

Elite Pure, CBE Tek Hybrid, 10" B-Stinger stabilizer, Limbdriver rest , Alpine Soft Loc 5 Quiver, Muzzy 100 4 bld, Slick Trick Viper Trick Red Head Gator broadheads, Beman ICS Hunter 400 28" ,Scott Quick Shot release, Vortex 8.5X50 Vultures  :cheers:

2 hours ago, Farmingdales Finest said:

They aren’t high fence so by definition they are free range real hunting regardless of the number of deer per square mile.

Management hunts  are all about reducing deer numbers in a hurry and it requires shooting every deer that walks by including fawns, if you feel that's hunting then roll with it. Sorry, it doesn't matter what organization puts this type of"hunt"together,just not my cup of tea

But you also don’t need to be so negative about it either.

It also appears you confused negativity with honesty...Its all good:up:

10 hours ago, Dynamicduojx said:

If you don’t like it, you don’t have to participate. But you also don’t need to be so negative about it either.

You are in fact confusing someone’s honest opinion with negativity. While I support the UBNJ I choose not to participate in their hunts from past personal experience. I know you are new at this endeavor but don’t dismiss anyone’s point of view to the contrary with the “ don’t like it don’t do it” You get more with sugar than salt and sometimes ignoring a comment you don’t agree with is the better move. Just sayin’

AWM

You are in fact confusing someone’s honest opinion with negativity. While I support the UBNJ I choose not to participate in their hunts from past personal experience. I know you are new at this endeavor but don’t dismiss anyone’s point of view to the contrary with the “ don’t like it don’t do it” You get more with sugar than salt and sometimes ignoring a comment you don’t agree with is the better move. Just sayin’

Controlled" hunts" are not hunting by any means so don't get the two confused

Been there done that,its not worth going through all that B.S. to kill a deer, so watch what you wish for:up: IMO let the townships that don't allow hunting pay out their arses for deer control until they realize its useless

First and foremost, Thank you for being a member!

I understand honest opinions, I understand when something isn’t someone’s cup of tea. I don’t dismiss anyone. Anyone who knows me knows I’m not a “salty” person, and I don’t engage in arguments online.

One of the things I like most about these forums is that in most instances, people on here can have honest conversations and politely disagree- as opposed to Facebook where other hunters bash each other and each other’s opinions.

Like someone mentioned earlier, there is no high fence it’s not controlled and I do believe he was referring to the management hunts. Management hunts are a form of hunting, whether some people like it or not- the same way deer drives are- and some people enjoy that type of hunting while others dont. Just because he doesn’t or that’s not his idea of hunting, Doesnt mean he has to bash it or say it’s not hunting. So between that and having the sarcastic attitude about letting towns pay for non lethal deer control, which he knows would screw hunters.... that’s where I felt he was being negative about things.

46 minutes ago, Dynamicduojx said:

Just because he doesn’t or that’s not his idea of hunting, Doesnt mean he has to bash it or say it’s not hunting. So between that and having the sarcastic attitude about letting towns pay for non lethal deer control, which he knows would screw hunters.... that’s where I felt he was being negative about things.

As I previously stated, sometimes ignoring a comment you don’t agree with is simply a better avenue than addressing it. There is some truth to his statement. Statistically look at towns/counties that tried non lethal  programs or culling companies like white buffalo and after the price tag was tallied turned to allowing hunting. The best argument or advocacy for hunting at times falls on deaf ears to political entities but taxpayer outcry moves the needle. That I believe was the point being made whether you agree with it is a different story

AWM

9 hours ago, Dynamicduojx said:

Doesnt mean he has to bash it or say it’s not hunting. So between that and having the sarcastic attitude about letting towns pay for non lethal deer control, which he knows would screw hunters.... that’s where I felt he was being negative about things.

There was no bashing and I'm sorry you took it that way, but why would you support towns that take our rights away to hunt,now 10 years later they looking into non-lethal methods instead of looking into the most logical solutions such as UBNJ. Apparently they still don't get it and never will so let them pay for it, if you want to play the white knight for those towns I wish you the best! After spending 45 years in the woods hunting county,township,public and private properties with a few being controlled hunts I do know the difference between a cull and hunting, I know your young to the sport so hopefully some day you will too :up: 

There was no bashing and I'm sorry you took it that way, but why would you support towns that take our rights away to hunt,now 10 years later they looking into non-lethal methods instead of looking into the most logical solutions such as UBNJ. Apparently they still don't get it and never will so let them pay for it, if you want to play the white knight for those towns I wish you the best! After spending 45 years in the woods hunting county,township,public and private properties with a few being controlled hunts I do know the difference between a cull and hunting, I know your young to the sport so hopefully some day you will too :up: 

I appreciate the clarification. Not all municipalities are aware we exist, especially if they’re not sportsmen/women. Our biggest problem right now is that the anti-hunters are much louder than we are and much more organized/united than we are. They’re the ones trying to push towns into non-lethal methods, vaccinating, & sterilizing deer. And I do understand your point about letting them pay, but as UBNJ council members we would be completely remiss if we didn’t step up and try and keep these lands open to hunting-whether it be to the general public or with a contract. It’s part of what membership dues go towards and what hunters expect from us.

Bucky, I would say most towns have never heard of the UBNJ. Since becoming a council member a year ago and actively trying to talk to others that bowhunt I was shocked to learn how few hunters had heard of us.

It is only going to be more challenging going forward since licenses and the regulations are moving online. The reason being if people are looking for what zone they want to hunt they only see the regulations and not the advertising on the surrounding pages. Then if you don’t participate in social media you are further insulated from learning about organizations like ours. That includes Facebook and forums like this. Only a small percentage of hunters use both. That being said if people are looking for hunting information we can reach them and recruit them to fit for our rights. In the last 2 weeks I have signed up 3 new members from forums and FB. Two were new to NJ and were looking to learn where to hunt, one wanted to learn how to hang a treestand and I offered to teach him. When I came accross that thread I was embarrassed because virtually everyone was mocking the guy! That doesn’t help anyone. He had only hunted out of a ground blind at that point. The third was a member 30 years ago and let the membership lapse and in our conversation I asked why and he said no reason and signed up that night.

The point is we are a small group that needs to grow if we want to continue doing the things we love. Just curious are you a member of the UBNJ or any other organization. If not why?

“Since becoming a councilmember a year ago andactively trying to talk to others that bowhunt I was shocked to learn how few hunters had heard of us.”

Just an observation and a bit of commentary after reading your above post.  

If you’re shocked at how few “bowhunters” heard of UBNJ, consider then how large the number of non hunting individuals/groups (meaning, potential new hunters, hunter Ed course graduates, youngsters that may aspire to bowhunt someday, parents of those youngsters, youngsters simply involved in archery but unaware of what bowhunting has to offer, scout groups, 4-H groups, etc.) must be who have no clue who, what, where UBNJ is, or that the org even exists!

That’s the audience UBNJ needs to focus on to grow the organization, not existing hunters, which is simply “preaching to the choir!”

I attempted to initiate a program at my club a few years ago (we have our own archery range) through my local Somerset/Hunterdon  County UBNJ reps, but my numerous inquiries went unanswered or not followed up on. 
I also had a few ideas of where and when youngsters could be exposed to UBNJ, but again, no action taken. 

My point of mentioning it now is that UBNJ appears to have some “new blood” in the form of eager county reps, but the membership numbers have remained stagnant for many years now, and I believe that is due to not having enough outreach to individuals outside the current bowhunters circles.
The current members only have so many family and friends they can recruit, there needs to be a greater focus on recruiting youngsters (and their parents) outside the comfort zone of annual UBNJ 3-D shoots, “local” Hunter events, and the draw of “management hunts,” which are all fine, but have not shown to positively impact the membership roles. 
F&W is also seeing a downward trend in hunter recruitment, which is a problem in much of the country, so I recognize that reduced hunter numbers in general is a factor, but I just don’t see the recruitment focus by UBNJ from my vantage point. 

So, what I’m saying is, I hope as much effort is put on recruitment as it is on obtaining “management hunts,” because before long there won’t be enough bowhunters to sustain the org., or wield any significant influence on any politicians, or on the F&W council, in this state, and we all know the politician situation is not getting any easier! 

I attempted to initiate a program at my club a few years ago (we have our own archery range) through my local Somerset/Hunterdon  County UBNJ reps, but my numerous inquiries went unanswered or not followed up on. 
I also had a few ideas of where and when youngsters could be exposed to UBNJ, but again, no action taken. 

Your entire post is correct in where hunting and hunting organizations stand. Unfortunately the northern region hasn’t been invigorated in quite some time and I’m sorry your inquiries were falling on deaf ears.
If you’re still interested, I would love for you to reach out to me to talk about your ideas.