Auto Backer to train Gun Dogs to Honor?

GilV

Does anyone know of a place to buy a Auto Backer to train gun dogs to honor another dogs point? My dog is doing great pointing and retrieving, but now I want to train her to honor.

LCS sells them but they are $200 more than what others used to sell them for.

Thanks

Gil

14 minutes ago, RPK0620 said:

Have you run your dog with other dogs. Sometimes thats all that is necessary to do.

Yup most dogs will get it after busting a few birds just remember if they're don't honor thenthem don't kill the bird   they'll get 

• 2 weeks later...

GilV - 

There is, I believe,  a Navhda group that uses Collier's Mills a lot.  I think pretty much every weekend.  If you contact them, you might make some kind of arrangement to get your dog in some backing situations with live dogs.

If you know someone who is a member of the English Setter Club in Medford, NJ, you could probably do much the same thing as the place is heavily used by amateur trainers on the weekends and the club has pigeons available for members to train with(not to shoot).

FWIW, I train by myself mostly and  use a plywood cutout and a remote release trap for most of my backing training.  

The biggest mistake most folks make when doing backing training, is not having a bird or two to flush for the dog.   Having a bird flush out if the dog does not back on sight is very important.  Having a second bird to flush out after the correction, as  a reward for doing it right,  is crucial as well.    \

RayG