The Ridge was Calling my Name Today

Very cool pics... but one of my worst fears that I will run into one of them. It's only a matter of time..

I never really thought about them until a few years ago when I almost stepped on a pretty large timber rattler. SCARED the BEJESUS out of me! 

The first few times out for turkeys this year I wasn't really thinking about it like I had the last few years, I had kind of forgotten about it. Then I ran across a small snake the other day, just a garter, but it was a mean little bugger. My brother mentioned my encounter with the rattler. That was all I needed to turn back into the jumpy, sissy, freaking out every time I kick a stick and it rustles leaves....LOL

I am somewhat fascinated by snakes, but they do scare the hell out of me. 

Definitely awesome pictures, now please tell me where it was so I NEVER GO THERE! LOL

Edited by Matty

I never really thought about them until a few years ago when I almost stepped on a pretty large timber rattler. SCARED the BEJESUS out of me! 

The first few times out for turkeys this year I wasn't really thinking about it like I had the last few years, I had kind of forgotten about it. Then I ran across a small snake the other day, just a garter, but it was a mean little bugger. My brother mentioned my encounter with the rattler. That was all I needed to turn back into the jumpy, sissy, freaking out every time I kick a stick and it rustles leaves....LOL

I am somewhat fascinated by snakes, but they do scare the hell out of me. 

Definitely awesome pictures, now please tell me where it was so I NEVER GO THERE! LOL

No need to worry.  Venomous snakes want nothing to do with humans.  They'll most often warn you well before they feel the need to strike, so pay heed to any warning.  I've enjoyed looking for copperheads and timber rattlers in southern facing talus slopes in the NJ Highlands since I was a kid.  Never had an issue yet, but I give them the respect they deserve when I do find them.  My only "close encounter" was in Oregon while ground squirrel hunting with a .22 when I wasn't paying close attention and nearly stepped on one.  Thankfully, it rattled loud and I quickly backed up and out of range.   

I totally hear what you're saying Brian.

The one I encountered was on or under the log I jumped up on and off of. We came within fractions of an inch of each other and he never rattled. He streaked by my boot like a bolt of lightning and as soon as my brain registered what it was I was running through the woods like a man on fire.

Of course I had to go back for a picture, but I've posted it before and the quality is crappy, so I won't dig it up again. Even when getting near him for the picture, he never rattled or tried to leave.

I do know what you're saying though, I know they aren't out there searching for us and want to avoid us, but the way that accidental encounter happened made me realize how easy it would be to step over the wrong log or grab the wrong rock outcropping. The areas I hunt, like you, are full of the perfect habitat for them. The area where I had the encounter is supposedly well known for being full of them. Needless to say, I have never gone to that exact area again. lol

What you are saying is reassuring Brian, but I am with Matty on this one.  I am more worried about accidentally stepping on one as I come over a log or a rock.  I know the chances are small so I am not going to do anything different than normal.  I am just always on the alert during warm weather.

BTW I have had a fear of snakes since I was a little kid so that doesn't help things  :down:

What you are saying is reassuring Brian, but I am with Matty on this one.  I am more worried about accidentally stepping on one as I come over a log or a rock.  I know the chances are small so I am not going to do anything different than normal.  I am just always on the alert during warm weather.

BTW I have had a fear of snakes since I was a little kid so that doesn't help things  :down:

More good news.  A healthy adult human seldom has a serious reaction if bit.  You should immediately go to the nearest hospital, of course, but chances are very good that you will survive the encounter.  But I understand the fear of snakes.  It only took the Bible the first book (Genesis) to get to snakes  :) 

More good news.  A healthy adult human seldom has a serious reaction if bit.  You should immediately go to the nearest hospital, of course, but chances are very good that you will survive the encounter.  But I understand the fear of snakes.  It only took the Bible the first book (Genesis) to get to snakes   :)

I feel better already. Especially knowing I have God on my side  :hail: 

:)

More good news.  A healthy adult human seldom has a serious reaction if bit.  You should immediately go to the nearest hospital, of course, but chances are very good that you will survive the encounter.  But I understand the fear of snakes.  It only took the Bible the first book (Genesis) to get to snakes   :)

I would say that a healthy adult human will have, a very serious reaction to a bite, including severe pain, the possibility of long lasting tissue damage, and the list goes on,  including the possibility of death.  Children may be more likely to die if bitten by a rattle snake. They are to be respected and I agree that they are not looking to go out of their way to bite us.  

Edited by Nomad