IGNORED

1/24/2020 Check In

Tarhunt

I'm going out hunting this afternoon right after work. Going back to the same spot where I was yesterday. I'll be hunting a creek bottom that is thick in briers. Yesterday, the deer were bedded down in them and jumped up when they heard me walking in. I'm going to go in from another direction and hopefully, will not spook them. 

20200123_151454.jpg

"The Nation Which Forgets Its Defenders, Will Itself Be Forgotten".

30 minutes ago, Tarhunt said:

I haven't hunted here in two years. 

I sat in a stand a couple weeks ago that I hadn't hunted in 2 years and the deer were everywhere.  Unfortunately I had 2 come in behind me, downwind, and stand around spooked for 45 minutes without me being able to move a muscle.   Deer were zipping around everywhere though.  I was actually thinking of trying to make it out to that stand this afternoon, but I don't want to foul it up because I won't be able to get in the woods until 4:30 and that spot requires I get in a bit earlier. I have another piece that I can zip in to instead that usually only gets deer action in the last 15-20 minutes of daylight.  

44 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

Heading out this afternoon after the 8pt.  Hope he moves early with the storm coming in.  I know he beds just down the ridge from me.

Good luck everyone!

One of these days you got to get that son of a b****. If The thermals and the scent are going downhill if possible set up below him. 👍

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

1 hour ago, hunterbob1 said:

One of these days you got to get that son of a b****. If The thermals and the scent are going downhill if possible set up below him. 👍

I think you meant to say set up above him.  I set up above the tier that he travels because the wind is almost always pushing uphill, but that doesn't stop deer from coming from above me either.  That's why I just got done showering with baking soda before heading out.  No tracks all the way on top, so no sense being on the very top.

24 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

I think you meant to say set up above him.  I set up above the tier that he travels because the wind is almost always pushing uphill, but that doesn't stop deer from coming from above me either.  That's why I just got done showering with baking soda before heading out.  No tracks all the way on top, so no sense being on the very top.

But...greybeard....on a calm day such as today the last hour the cool air will settle in the valleys and most certainly scent will be drawn downhill with it. I’m sure that buck knows the way the scent is coming from. I’ve got a spot where in the morning I can feel the “breeze” on my neck coming from the valley....once the sun is up I’ll begin feeling the prevailing nw breeze on my cheek. Hope your baking soda soap is working good for you tonight and you share some pics of that big boy...good luck!!!!

Sometimes I think the world has gone completely mad. And then I think, "Aw, who cares?" And then I think, "Hey, what's for supper?"

But...greybeard....on a calm day such as today the last hour the cool air will settle in the valleys and most certainly scent will be drawn downhill with it. I’m sure that buck knows the way the scent is coming from. I’ve got a spot where in the morning I can feel the “breeze” on my neck coming from the valley....once the sun is up I’ll begin feeling the prevailing nw breeze on my cheek. Hope your baking soda soap is working good for you tonight and you share some pics of that big boy...good luck!!!!
This is correct. The morning thermals will make your scent travel up the hill and in the evening, it'll fall down the hill.

David

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

28 minutes ago, delvalhunter said:

Not here. The air movement whether there is thermals or not is pushing up and over from the big valley below. Would need a very strong se wind to move it the other way. Even then it would probably come up the other side and swirl back up the mountain on this side. Doesnt matter how still or windy here, it's  always going up morning or night.