IGNORED

make sure you oil your shotgun; oh, and load it, too

mazzgolf

OK, here's another kinda funny story I have. This happened this past Monday morning during a goose hunt.

Me and a friend of mine went to a farm field we have permission to hunt on.

We get there at about 6:45am and it is cold, like 10 degrees cold. Ground is frozen. All we have are silhouettes - BUT! we were prepared! We got this homemade  gadget that you press down with your boot and little holes get punched through the ground to put the deke stakes in. My friend was punching holes in the ground, and I was putting the dekes in the ground. We had 9 dozen silos. We get through about 2 dozen and my buddy goes.. "uh oh" - lifts up the gadget, one of the prongs is bent over, broken. Well, I guess 2 dozen silos will work  .... maybe... :headscratch:

OK, so we sit down and get ready for action even though most of our dekes are back in the truck. Not a cloud in the sky - blue bird day. We sit there for an hour and a half and don't even see a tweetie bird let alone any geese. Did I mention it was like 10 degrees out :)

Well, all of a sudden we hear honks right behind us ... here comes the one and only flock we would see all morning!

These things had trouble with the wind - they were getting blown all over. You could tell they wanted to come in, but couldn't. After about 5 minutes, they finally got oriented the way they wanted and started coming in wheels down.

SHOOT!

My buddy shoots - BANG! Goose down.

I shoot - BANG! Goose down.

My buddy shoots -  BANG! Goose down.

.....One more and we limit out!!!

I shoot - click. :blink:

My buddy shoots - click. :shock:

I have a failure - I quickly move the bolt back to try to reload another... then....

.... click! :confused: WHAT THE???!?!

That's when I hear my buddy go... "Oh, man! I only loaded 2 shells in my gun!"

We then watched the rest of the one and only flock we saw fly away ... :goodbye::pout: 

We packed up and went home.

P.S. I think the cold affected my gun - I'll have to make sure I lube it up a little better when I know I'll be in really cold weather. As for my buddy - I'll forever be the one to remind him henceforth - "you did load your gun, right?" :D 

7 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

OK, here's another kinda funny story I have. This happened this past Monday morning during a goose hunt.

We get there at about 6:45am and it is cold, like 10 degrees cold. Ground is frozen. All we have are silhouettes - BUT! we were prepared! We got this homemade  gadget that you press down with your boot and little holes get punched through the ground to put the deke stakes in. My friend was punching holes in the ground, and I was putting the dekes in the ground. We had 9 dozen silos. We get through about 2 dozen and my buddy goes.. "uh oh" - lifts up the gadget, one of the prongs is bent over, broken. Well, I guess 2 dozen silos will work  .... maybe... :headscratch:

OK, so we sit down and get ready for action even though most of our dekes are back in the truck. Not a cloud in the sky - blue bird day. We sit there for an hour and a half and don't even see a tweetie bird let alone any geese. Did I mention it was like 10 degrees out :)

Well, all of a sudden we hear honks right behind us ... here comes the one and only flock we would see all morning!

These things had trouble with the wind - they were getting blown all over. You could tell they wanted to come in, but couldn't. After about 5 minutes, they finally got oriented the way they wanted and started coming in wheels down.

SHOOT!

I have a failure - I quickly move the bolt back to try to reload another... then....

We then watched the rest of the one and only flock we saw fly away ... :goodbye::pout: 

P.S. I think the cold affected my gun - I'll have to make sure I lube it up a little better when I know I'll be in really cold weather. As for my buddy - I'll forever be the one to remind him henceforth - "you did load your gun, right?" :D 

Next time bring an electric drill to punch holes in frozen soil.

8 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

SHOOT!

What kind of oil are you using..  it sounds like you had to much oil and it froze due to the fridged temps

2 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

My grandfather started me on graphite in cold weather. 

I guess you could. I stick with what works for the Alaskan guys. Clean, lightly oil, then wipe off every bit of oil you can with a clean cloth. They have bears trying to eat them, no time for malfunctions LOL

AWM

7 minutes ago, MGHunter66 said:

I guess you could. I stick with what works for the Alaskan guys. Clean, lightly oil, then wipe off every bit of oil you can with a clean cloth. They have bears trying to eat them, no time for malfunctions LOL

Lucas gun oil seems pretty good temp wise but graphite has never failed me when done I clean and lightly oil and wipe dry..  

FWIW: I had a dry gun (I cleaned it the day before I went out, and I didn't put any oil inside the receiver or on the bolt).

I read about this FP-10 lubricant so I ordered some. Got it today. I hear very good things about FP-10's cold weather performance. We'll see how it goes.

Edited by mazzgolf