IGNORED

Ring Doorbell and Cameras

Kype

I have back yards and front door. It’s good for what I wanted it or. Keep in mind it will not record anything unless you pay maintenance fee. The front door ring is nice and cheap. It alerts me with anyone ringing my door and I can remotely talk to whoever is there. It can alert you detecting motion or actual door bell or both. The back yard is a flood light with motion detection and you  you can remotely turn the light on or off, and even talk to anyone in the back yard. It also includes night vision. 

ED8E355F-D214-4384-8A52-C7A7FB8E3367.png

BFDC2319-5968-4A3A-A6B2-7ED438DCE585.png

• BowhunterNJ changed the title to Ring Doorbell and Cameras
4 minutes ago, Hunter115522 said:

I have a Blink camera for the exterior front of my house. I highly recommend it. Perfect for my purposes. Completely wireless, free storage, etc.. It's an Amazon product. 

Ring your s wireless as well but no free storage

it works on your WiFi but it does not pick up signal easily. The fix is not to bad, a $50 extender 

31 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

Ring your s wireless as well but no free storage

it works on your WiFi but it does not pick up signal easily. The fix is not to bad, a $50 extender 

I've heard good things about ring. I grabbed the blink because of a prime day sale on Amazon. Free storage, and it easily connects to wifi, never had a problem with it being out of range. It seems to catch most movement. Battery life is so-so. 

I've been looking at an Arlo system but haven't pulled the trigger because I would prefer a wired system over wireless. Wireless and rechargeable batteries are quick and easy but not as reliable and require much more upkeep. I also am not crazy about having to pay for a cloud service for multiple reasons, cost, security, etc.

I believe Ring has also admitted that they have cooperated with law enforcement by allowing them to view videos or meta data. On the face of it this sounds like a good idea but I don't want anyone having access to video of the comings and goings around my property much like I would never talk to the police without a lawyer present if it was about anything of significance. 

6 minutes ago, Gunsmoke said:

Ring on the exterior part of the house never the interior based on the video with the hacker spooking a teenage boy in the house.  That was creepy.

With the way technology is today, you should operate assuming anything you have connected to an external network is no longer private.  It's the case with your iPhones and Android phones today (see yesterday's news about Apple and Google verifying there is no end to end encryption of your cloud based backups).  In the case of network devices (IoT or otherwise), your trust is only as far as the company that built them (and who they paid to build them).  Lots of possible vulnerabilities, especially from manufacturers that don't specialize in security (hence why so many devices are easily hackable).  

Go wired and local DVR for security cameras, especially anything interior.  If you don't care who sees it or when (whether you know or not), then you can go wireless and cloud based for the convenience of setup.  Most homeowners aren't targets of sophisticated hacking efforts to gain entry or spoof video feeds, but peace of mind goes a long way.

1 hour ago, Lunatic said:

I have back yards and front door. It’s good for what I wanted it or. Keep in mind it will not record anything unless you pay maintenance fee. The front door ring is nice and cheap. It alerts me with anyone ringing my door and I can remotely talk to whoever is there. It can alert you detecting motion or actual door bell or both. The back yard is a flood light with motion detection and you  you can remotely turn the light on or off, and even talk to anyone in the back yard. It also includes night vision. 

ED8E355F-D214-4384-8A52-C7A7FB8E3367.png

BFDC2319-5968-4A3A-A6B2-7ED438DCE585.png

how long do the batteries last? and what do they take

I have a RING 2 on each door.  They work pretty well.  My wife buys a lot of crap online and one of our ex-neighbors was a piece of $#!t.  So, we put up the cameras to make sure he didn't take anything.   I used the one on the back door to keep tabs on a groundhog that was digging under the summer kitchen.  Damn squirrels keep setting them off, though.    

I read that the hacking was due to people having weak passwords.

1 minute ago, barrike said:

I have a RING 2 on each door.  They work pretty well.  My wife buys a lot of crap online and one of our ex-neighbors was a piece of $#!t.  So, we put up the cameras to make sure he didn't take anything.   I used the one on the back door to keep tabs on a groundhog that was digging under the summer kitchen.  Damn squirrels keep setting them off, though.    

i heard it can be programed to only pick up people? is that true? one guy at work said his kept going off because of cars driving down the road. 

7 minutes ago, barrike said:

A large faction of the botnet out there using IoT devices was achieved by running port scanners across IP ranges and trying to identify and use default user/password combinations that manufacturers setup on the devices.  Weak firmware policies and unknowing (non-techy) users (average home owners) is the culprit.  Definitely a good rule of thumb to look at the security setup on any device and set/customize the password.  In general, everywhere and everything you use, if it supports 2 Factor Authentication, use it.  The main issue is most users want plug and play convenience (understandable), so I think the manufacturers should really build based on that expectation and force users to go through an explicit security setup vs just plugging in and working.  Most have started to move towards this and are closing the gaps of the flaws such as default user/password combinations.

2 minutes ago, Kype said:

i heard it can be programed to only pick up people? is that true? one guy at work said his kept going off because of cars driving down the road. 

Yes, that can be done as well.  AI and machine learning models can be used to do the equivalent of "face detection" but applied to different models (cars, people, cats, dogs, deer, etc).  Trailcams are starting to adopt the deer recognition modeling of AI and machine learning.