MPSR

Target buck shed search

I’ve been training my springer on the last fresh sheds I found. To say the least he is doing well.. My shotgun target buck dropped his rack and I have his bedding area pinpointed. I’m just waiting for winter bow to come to an end so he doesn’t get mistaken for a doe.  Anyone have suggestions when trading dogs to find sheds..? Does it confuse them when bird hunting.. Any and all advise appreciated..

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, MPSR said:

I’ve been training my springer on the last fresh sheds I found. To say the least he is doing well.. My shotgun target buck dropped his rack and I have his bedding area pinpointed. I’m just waiting for winter bow to come to an end so he doesn’t get mistaken for a doe.  Anyone have suggestions when trading dogs to find sheds..? Does it confuse them when bird hunting.. Any and all advise appreciated..

Don’t think it would confuse him, they are smart dogs and know what’s going on. My Boykin goes and finds turtles, why I have no idea but she brings them back to me all the time. Just don’t say find the bird when shed hunting LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20190309_094959.thumb.jpg.1a1fd606cd1b9a2ce436136bffe5fdc4.jpg

He doesn't bird hunt but I keep him looking for sheds all year.  I use the shed scent to keep the sheds fresh all year.  It is definitely his favorite thing to do.  Started him at 8 weeks old.  He is 5 now.  He looks for sheds every where we walk.  Below is a real good day from last year.  Hit a couple of spots a day.

20190324_131049.jpg

Edited by Yobuck293
  • Like 15

We are going local near my house Thursday.. 3 bucks coming into my yard and 1 still holding.. Hoping he find one.. Then we gear up for the target buck.... Will post if find any

Shoot the buck first you'll find them, if not just have them made:up:

Just make sure it's bone he's hunting and not fur or you'll have problems 

4 hours ago, bucky said:

Shoot the buck first you'll find them, if not just have them made:up:

Once they drop one side they are safe. I've found both side a few times and others none some just one.. If they have a chance to make it another year they get the pass

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Do you give him an antler to chew on at home ?  My Lab has a couple of old ones from years ago that are piled up in a box before I became more selective.

I wonder if she could find one in the woods since she carriers them all around the house. 

1 hour ago, OMC said:

Do you give him an antler to chew on at home ?  My Lab has a couple of old ones from years ago that are piled up in a box before I became more selective.

I wonder if she could find one in the woods since she carriers them all around the house. 

You would need to introduce the scent to the scenario first.   The scent you can buy simulates the scent on the base of the antler when it falls off.  Put some on an antler she chews and make your dog look for it.  The dog will catch on pretty quickly if they like to retrieve/fetch.  Once the scent portion is down get her used to looking for the antler by sight.  Place some in an open field then start covering portions of them.  Bring the dog to the spot you already hid them and she will try to find by scent and sight.  Dont forget where you put them in case she doesn't find them.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, OMC said:

Yep plenty of antler chews! Excited today he found a 1/2 rack 8 point about 200 yards from my house tonight.. I have 4 bucks coming in the yard each night 1 still full rack.. Hoping to find the big boy next week. Racks bring light in color now w/snow hard to find. This one was in a bed👍. Great advise Michael👍👍

• Like 1

I'd offer our help but our pup is better at posing for pictures than actually finding antlers.  :shakehead: 

Lexi's Shed.jpeg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Rusty said:

I'd offer our help but our pup is better at posing for pictures than actually finding antlers.  :shakehead: 

Lexi's Shed.jpeg

Nice dog and nice looking shed..! The longer they sit the whiter and chewed up they get.. Hoping to get on these within the next week and spend 2 solid days looking..!  'like I said earlier. one day he had them next day he didn't. They must be somewhere near his bedding area.. I hope.. 

I have two known bedding areas one of which is so thick of briars not even worth going in, the area isn't as thick....I have yet in the 20 years of hunting this area find a single shed

As of a picture last night, my target buck is still holding.  Hope I can shoot him before they drop so I can add the antlers to the shed pile without having to search all over for them.:tooth:

• Haha 1