IGNORED

1/21/20 - Clinton WMA Range Improvements Completed

The calibers are mostly self explanatory.   .30 .270 .280 any thing less than 30 is good the confusion Gould come with 7mm  but that is also less than 30 cal..  get a reloading app or book and look at the bullet diameters in the recipe

Screenshot_20200122-203021_Reloading Assistant.jpg

Edited by vdep217

2 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

I couldnt figure out a link I was giving him reloading recipe diameters lol

So to see if 1 caliber is smaller or larger than other, do you look at the physical appearance? or is it based on actual diameter or load? 
also, does it matter whether or not 1 round hits harder than another?

1 minute ago, IronBait said:

So to see if 1 caliber is smaller or larger than other, do you look at the physical appearance? or is it based on actual diameter or load? 

It is the diameter, example .270 winchester is .277 diameter, 30-06 is .308 diameter etc. cartridge length/sizr has nothing to do with caliber

AWM

2 minutes ago, IronBait said:

Its bullet diameter. To put it in easy perspective.  And I know these are not under 30 cal.  But 38 special and 357 magnum shoot the same diameter bullet but the 357 is a heavier hitting round

7 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

Its bullet diameter. To put it in easy perspective.  And I know these are not under 30 cal.  But 38 special and 357 magnum shoot the same diameter bullet but the 357 is a heavier hitting round

I see, similar to the .223 and 5.56. 

7 minutes ago, IronBait said:

I see, similar to the .223 and 5.56. 

Sort of yes just not to the same extent. 223 and 556 are the same case dimensions but internal pressure varies.  Wi h is why you can shoot 223 in a 556 chamber but not the other way around but the 556 will fit in a 223 chamber unlike a 357 will not fit in a 38 special chamber

1 hour ago, vdep217 said:

Sort of yes just not to the same extent. 223 and 556 are the same case dimensions but internal pressure varies.  Wi h is why you can shoot 223 in a 556 chamber but not the other way around but the 556 will fit in a 223 chamber unlike a 357 will not fit in a 38 special chamber

understood. thank you