IGNORED

trash guy refused to take my deer carcass

mazzgolf

Today is trash pickup - I just watched the trash guy open the lid to my trash can, look in it, look around, put the lid back on, and didn't dump it in the trash truck. He dumped the other two trash cans I had out.

The one he refused to dump had my deer carcass in it! It was wrapped in a black trash bag and was in a 32 gallon trash can - but the antler was poking through the trash bag. I'm assuming he realized what it was and refused to take it.:headscratch:

I called the trash company and they said they will have someone coming out by the end of the day to take it.

This is something you people didn't warn me about when suggesting I butcher my own deer - making sure the trash guys take the carcass!

6 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

Today is trash pickup - I just watched the trash guy open the lid to my trash can, look in it, look around, put the lid back on, and didn't dump it in the trash truck. He dumped the other two trash cans I had out.

The one he refused to dump had my deer carcass in it! It was wrapped in a black trash bag and was in a 32 gallon trash can - but the antler was poking through the trash bag. I'm assuming he realized what it was and refused to take it.:headscratch:

I called the trash company and they said they will have someone coming out by the end of the day to take it.

This is something you people didn't warn me about when suggesting I butcher my own deer - making sure the trash guys take the carcass!

I do it in plastic bags and never any issues but then again I don't include antlers.

2 minutes ago, Tarhunt said:

Most towns will not take deer carcasses. You need to double bag it with contractor's bags to hide it. 

This is untrue. Gar man was just being an ass. As a matter of fact the dot has a mason dump that goes to the landfill with roadkill. What else would you do with a carcass other than throwing it in the trash?

5 minutes ago, midwestxpress said:

This is untrue. Gar man was just being an ass. As a matter of fact the dot has a mason dump that goes to the landfill with roadkill. What else would you do with a carcass other than throwing it in the trash?

My town considers it hazardous waste and will not take it. I butcher my deer at a friend's farm and dispose of it there. 

Edited by Tarhunt

"The Nation Which Forgets Its Defenders, Will Itself Be Forgotten".

1 hour ago, midwestxpress said:

It depends on the disposal facility they are dumping at (transfer station, landfill, incinerator, etc...) and what type(s) of waste it's permitted for.  Regular municipal garbage is Type 10.  Slaughtered animal carcasses (ie: livestock or large animals processed for food), dead pets, etc...is Type 25.  When the incinerator in Warren county was still open all Type 10 went there.  Everything else (including roadkill carcasses AFAIK) went to the county landfill which was not permitted for Type 10.  They are trying to change that but in the meantime Type 10 is now going to the Annandale transfer station.  Fortunately for me turkey buzzards are exempt from NJDEP permitting requirements 🤣

I live back in the woods you see

My woman and the kids and the dogs and me

I got a shotgun a rifle and a four wheel drive and a country boy can survive

5 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

What are you supposed to do? Even the Digest says put it out on the curb for household trash pickup.

Bag it more discretely so they don't see it and so that a potential inspector on the tipping floor won't see it either.  Also-cut it up and spread out the load between two cans.  Most companies/towns have a 50lb limit on cans unless they are automated.

I live back in the woods you see

My woman and the kids and the dogs and me

I got a shotgun a rifle and a four wheel drive and a country boy can survive