IGNORED

For hunting out West...

about 10 years ago i poled all the montana outfitters at the harrisburg sport show, what rifle cal. for western mule deer and antalope. 7 mm rem mag. came up as the most popular. the rifle i got was a rem 700 a/p custom shop. i worked up a load using the hornaday 139 gr. boat tail . my son and i have killed mule deer and antalope dead one shot from 100 to 500 yds in those 10 years. the rifle is sighted in at 300 yds. 500/600 yd shots need a 2 to 3 in hold over from center of body mass.

I’m not a huge gun guy but, when I started hunting big game animals out west and Canada I was advised to get a 700 ultra mag. I bought a Remington 300 ultra mag and shoot 180 grain Nosler.  It’s flat and powerful. It’s not fun to shoot at the range but, in the field you feel nothing. 

🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈

Don’t mind spending money. Get yourself a  GunWerks. Take their course. Change your life lol. 

Once you hit a target at 1,000 yards, your confidence, rightly so, is through the roof. You will enjoy any hunt bc the stress of a shot is non existent. 

but not sure if you want to spend $8,000-$15,000 

A lot of guys on here have been out west.  

In my experience I would not take anything less than a 3o0 Win mag.  I currently shoot a light weight 338 lapua...    I have taken multiple Elk, multiple Mulies,  multiple Caribou, and a Grizz.   Not one of those hunts would I have been happy carrying a .308  (who carries a .308 in Grizz country any way???)

My Grizz was taken with 4 shots of 300 win mag (220 partitions)

Most of my Elk were taken with 180 grain partitions or 225 grain accubond (2 shots in ever single one of them)

The mulies same as above

.308 is a great rifle for east of the Mississippi whitetail, once you go west and have wind, elevations, the margin of error is greater.