IGNORED

Lamington River Dam Removal story in NJSFSC newletter

Bruce did a great job as he always does, but he got one thing incorrect.  This dam removal will improve spawning habitat for American shad and habitat in general for river herring and striped bass once Headgates Dam is removed on the mainstem of the Raritan River downstream a few miles.  But for now, this removal helps the wild smallmouth and stocked trout among other fish and it reconnects critical freshwater mussel habitat for some sensitive species of those important animals.  Can't wait to see the site in late spring when everything greens up! 

And for you trout anglers that fish this stretch, you now have three major areas to fish.  The huge and very obvious pool below the former concrete dam, a "hidden" pool just upstream of that, and the deep run below the lower riffle down to the old green metal bridge.  And all three areas can be fished from either side of the river.  

headgates need to go. to the best of my knowledge they were built to back water up to dump into the canal at duke island park. that canal is a diaster. i say remove the headgates. 

Edited by Kype

36 minutes ago, Kype said:

headgates need to go. to the best of my knowledge they were built to back water up to dump into the canal at duke island park. that canal is a diaster. i say remove the headgates. 

Actually it was built for creating electric power for the factorys that once stood below the Nevius Street bridge, I remember them from when I was kid. When the factories closed down,the canal was blocked off and turned the canal into a water supply. I use to shoot some big carp and also remember helping some kid wrestle a huge snappper out of there back in the day:up:

Edited by bucky