xbowmike

When do you stop hunting for the year?

Ive never shot a deer in February, just feels wrong to me!?!? But all other times, i will only hunt if im on a mature buck.  February is coyote kiilin’ month!

I stopped at the end of my annual New York hunting trip[ Thanksgiving week.  I had 2 deer in my freezer from Bow & Permit Bow seasons.  If freezer was empty I would have continued hunting at least until Christmas Eve.

3 hours ago, Lunatic said:

Why do you stop so early? 

I strictly hunt my own property. My cameras are always out. I glass my food plots every chance I get. When there is a good buck, I hunt him. All other times I keep the property quiet. 

I mostly look  forward to my trips out of state. 

Edited by tcook8296

Usually I am done by this time, but this season with the new baby and new house, I rarely got out here in jersey. End of October, all of Nov and all of Dec I didn't get out at all. Need a couple does for the freezer and my one property is infested.

I didn't get out as much as I'd hoped this fall and I've had zero luck getting anything within shooting range, but not for lack of seeing good deer.  So, I'll be trying to get out until winter bow ends...

Edited by BuzzBomber

I'll hunt until the last day of bow if possible but that does not necessarily mean I will be shooting.  I think it just takes a while to come to terms that the season is coming to the end and I enjoy getting out.  The latest deer I've shot and it was recent, was an 8 pointer on Feb. 1st and it was a great hunt.

When the wife forgets what I look like.  Seriously, when the freezer is full.  This year I got 2 and my son 1.  I may still go out but rarely shoot this late.  I just enjoy the peace and quiet in the woods.

When freezer is full,  its been as early as mid October and as late as early February, this year was November 2nd.

Meats meat regardless of head gear, 7th deer hits the ground and I'm done till September. 

Been playing this game long enough to know exactly what's needed to make the year.

20191117_164048.jpg

• Like 3