IGNORED

Jamaican jerk baby backs

Hitemnasty

The wife went out tonight, so time to make one of the things she doesn’t eat...ribs (yeah I know, she’s crazy)! 

I’ve been to Jamaica a couple times and fell in love with the food, specially the jerk from the street carts in town when the sun goes down. So I try and turn ordinary recipes into jerk recipes like wings, burgers, chicken salad or just about anything and I always thought about doing a pork butt and I had ribs in the freezer so I went with them. I bought some pimento wood chips a while back (tree that allspice comes from) from Jamaica for grilling and smoking to make the most authentic jerk I possibly can, here at home. For jerk to be authentic it must be cooked over pimento, though I don’t have the exact setup they do on the island I can get pretty close to the desired flavor.

I seasoned the ribs pretty heavy with some jerk spice and threw them on the Weber Smokey Mountain at 250 degrees. Put in a nice amount of pimento wood and a little bit of apple wood chunks and let her go for the 3-2-1 method. In the meantime I made some jerk BBQ sauce on the stove with ketchup, scotch bonnet pepper sauce, jerk sauce, The Shizzle jerk marinade, brown sugar, worcestershire,  honey and jerk seasoning. Nice and sweet with just the right amount of kick to it, real jerky! Came out pretty damn good but if I would change something for next time I’d cook little less time or at 225 degrees as it was slightly overcooked, I’m not too familiar with baby backs I usually cheap out and go St Louis that take longer.  

image.thumb.jpg.2e66ff0b7a98af3f85b5a6feda4af032.jpg

Hey H.. Did you use water in bowl, or sand? I use water and don't foil or wrap ribs anymore on the WSM. Not sure if your familiar with amazing ribs, but a great reference. 

Also... Sometimes you just get tough meat that won't work under any circumstance. If the dog walks away from it it's a failure if not a learning experience.

Lastly, love the glass with Holy Water.... I have the waterfowl collection.

2 minutes ago, TouchofGrey said:

Hey H.. Did you use water in bowl, or sand? I use water and don't foil or wrap ribs anymore on the WSM. Not sure if your familiar with amazing ribs, but a great reference. 

Also... Sometimes you just get tough meat that won't work under any circumstance. If the dog walks away from it it's a failure if not a learning experience.

Lastly, love the glass with Holy Water.... I have the waterfowl collection.

I used water this time but I usually don’t as it’s filled with sand most times. I’m going to try not wrapping next time as that definitely speed up the process because before I wrapped they were still stiff and 1.75 hours later falling apart. I sauced for about 1/2 hour because they were so done already. So it was really a modified 3-2-1. Not wrapping will also give a little better crust I’m looking for also.

I love the amazing ribs website and tell people about it all the time as I have learned a ton of good techniques from there! There’s also a WSM forum that kinda takes the guesswork out of trying different cooking methods. 

My grandfather recently gave me that set of glasses and he said they were his fathers but I’m not sure if he had one too many sips that night haha! I think I seen a post of yours with them, widgeon right?