IGNORED

kent fasteel 2.0

nickyan04

Interesting you post this :) This past summer, me and a couple others bought several different types of steelshot to pattern our SGs with. One of them was Kent FastSteel. It was one of the ones that patterned nicely and I put it on my "buy" list.

Then, I come to find out, they stopped making FastSteel and replaced it with the 2.0 !! (at least, I think so... I haven't seen the original FastSteel being sold - its all the 2.0 ones now that I can see).

But, since the original FastSteel patterned good for me, I decided to buy some of the 2.0 stuff and see how it worked. I have boxes of #2, #4, and #BB and last week I went out with the #2 and was very happy with it... shot some fast moving buffies with it that surprised even me when they went down :) 

So, take that for what its worth. Not alot of experience with it, but that one hunting trip, I was happy with the 2.0s. I'm going out tomorrow and I'm gonna try with the #4s.

11 minutes ago, Tbryant said:

but made the switch to Federal Speed Shok.

That was also one we patterned with and they patterned good, too. The reason I didn't use them is because I could never find the 3" in anything higher than 1-1/8 oz loads (at least BassPro.com and Cabelas.com doesn't carry them, my local shop also doesn't have them last I asked which was about a year ago). I'm not a good enough shot to spot the birds an 1/8 oz :) 

Here's my patterning of 40 yards, full choke, #BB - one Fasteel (1-1/4 oz) and one SpeedShok (1-1/8 oz) - you can see the diff... (I count at least 10 additional holes with the Fasteel - its about 15% more holes with the FastSteel).

Federal SpeedShok website shows they do make these in 1-1/4 oz... dunno why I can't ever find them.

fasteel-BB-40-L.jpg.74a618dfd47ddf705e667334b9d19a96.jpg

fedspeedshok-BB-40-L.jpg.604ef8c8895ebd55de8125b0a26b3e2d.jpg

I haven’t tried the 2.0 yet . I used the original , #2 for duck last year and it was great . Patterned great , no issue . I went over to 3-1/2” bb for goose and my gun and my buddies gun hated it . Failures to eject were common . I’d switch to other 3-1/2 bb and non issue . It’s sucked because it patterned great out of my gun and it would hammer birds very well , but our guns just didn’t like ejecting them . 

46 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

That was also one we patterned with and they patterned good, too. The reason I didn't use them is because I could never find the 3" in anything higher than 1-1/8 oz loads (at least BassPro.com and Cabelas.com doesn't carry them, my local shop also doesn't have them last I asked which was about a year ago). I'm not a good enough shot to spot the birds an 1/8 oz :) 

Here's my patterning of 40 yards, full choke, #BB - one Fasteel (1-1/4 oz) and one SpeedShok (1-1/8 oz) - you can see the diff... (I count at least 10 additional holes with the Fasteel - its about 15% more holes with the FastSteel).

Federal SpeedShok website shows they do make these in 1-1/4 oz... dunno why I can't ever find them.

https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/federal-premium-new-speed-shok-12-gauge-3-1-1-4oz-1450fps

If you're in the market still, Rogers has them in stock. #1 are what we use. Absolute nasty load  

• 1 year later...
On 1/10/2020 at 3:20 PM, mazzgolf said:

fasteel-BB-40-L.jpg.74a618dfd47ddf705e667334b9d19a96.jpg

fedspeedshok-BB-40-L.jpg.604ef8c8895ebd55de8125b0a26b3e2d.jpg

How big are those circles?

On 1/10/2020 at 4:13 PM, Buckeyes11 said:

Not a dedicated waterfowler by any means but 870 doesn’t cycle the Kent at all. Nothing but jams. Only time I’ve had an issue 

Interesting,i shot like 20 from mine and atleast 15 from my sons at paper no issues however yesterday morning the 3rd shot i fired at geese my action was stuck for a min. It was exposed to the elements since 6:10am,we shot at like 9:15-9:30am.