04/21/2014 - Opening Day Check-in

BowhunterNJ

Sounds like my day Matty except I just stayed put in my blind and it payed off. I almost started the run and gun when my birds walked away but decided against it .

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

"Don't forget that you're First Marines! Not all the Communists in hell can overrun you!" - Chesty Puller

What I really didn't understand was the guy driving around calling at 6:20 in the morning.

When I heard the truck coming I thought...what in God's name....If this person comes in the woods now I'm going to lose my mind. lol....Then they stop and call. Listen for about 20 seconds and keep going. They must have done it near my truck too, I couldn't see my truck from the first spot, but they were over there for a few minutes before they came back out.

Unbelievable. I was so thankful the birds stayed quiet when both hunters called. lol

Ken, yeah our days did sound similar, but your's ended much better. Usually I stay put in the blind too, and it almost always pays off....It's basically my number one rule and I broke it...lol....but today I was feeling extra antsy. I couldn't do it. I had to make a move. Still a fun day, but I probably could have ended A week already. lol

Congrats on your bird...Definitely a nice mature bird.

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear

Congrats on the bird Brian!

Great stories guys.  I also was unsuccessful but I had a great morning.  I had one gobbling once on the roost but that was it and I never got him to come close.  I decided this week I am going to be patient and sit it my spots that I've scouted all day even if it kills me.  I was settled in by 5 and I nobody gobbled on their own so I got him to gobble to my first call at 5:35.  That was my gobbling action for the morning, but I did call in 3 hens, one at 7:15, one at 8:00 and another at 10:40.  The last 2 really came in looking for me and were doing a ton of clucking.  They got pretty close at 20 yards.  The one at 8:00 was a big old hen, when I saw her in the distance I kept saying please be at least a jake lol.

No success story but a great morning in the woods  :up:

Thanks Matty. It's the biggest bird I've seen in the pines since I started hunting them. This early in the game I sit still it seems the toms always come back to where they met the hens earlier in the day. If it was later in the season I probably would of tried to cut them off as I know where they were headed.

"Don't forget that you're First Marines! Not all the Communists in hell can overrun you!" - Chesty Puller

Well, it just wasn't meant to be . . .

I started off this morning in a spot where there has repeatedly been a flock of about 17 birds, 3 toms for sure.  They were there yesterday morning.  Daylight came and the only sounds I heard were several crows calling back and forth to each other.  As I watched one of the crows, I sat there, leaned up against the tree, ears strained for even the slightest sound of a gobble, but nothing.  I knew it wasn't a good sign. Around 7:45, with nothing but silence in response to my calls, I decided to make my way to a second spot several miles away and as I was leaving noticed that a tree on the adjoining farmer's property, a tree that was there yesterday had now become piles of firewood.  My a-ha moment.  The farmer apparently spent quite a bit of time there yesterday cutting down the tree and making stacks of firewood, thus no birds there today . . .

Upon reaching my second spot for this morning, I walked back dirt field number one and number two before reaching the opening for the hidden grassy field which has historically hidden birds from public view.  As I slowly peeked through the opening to the grassy field I was shocked to hear a full barrel GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE come from within the woods to my right.  I jumped into the woods and set up as quickly as I could and as soon as I called, got responses from not one, not two, but THREE birds, all about 80 yards away, or so it seemed.  The one directly in front of me seemed to answer first, followed by the one to the right and then finally the one to the left.  I thought for sure that lady luck had shined down upon me until 10 minutes into the encounters I heard the all familiar cackles of the girls.  I even saw a white head cross about 60 yards in front of me from right to left.  The exchanges continued, but nobody wanted to commit, but why would they with the real thing right there with them?  They eventually wandered off, gobbling as they did until I could no longer hear them.  Well, I walked those woods until 11am, calling every 100 yards, but never again did I hear them.

At 11am, I headed back up to where I started this morning thinking that those birds just might make their way back to where they have been spending so much time lately, but nope, no answers to my calls there either.

I had hoped that I would be able to hunt tomorrow morning also, but since Matthew broke his collar bone last week, he needs surgery to put a metal plate in to repair it and the surgery is tomorrow. Please do not send best wishes for him, but rather donations as I am having him permanently bubble wrapped after the surgery, lol

I may be able to get out again on Friday morning.  Lots of deer in the fields today though, lots and lots of deer . . .

Edited by Ms Grit

"Well Behaved Women Seldom Make History" - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

NJ State Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs Member
NRA Life Member

NWTF Women In The Outdoors Member

UBNJ Member

Great story Robin!  Tough situation, no way for you to know about the disturbance the day before.  At least ya got into some action even if the birds didn't close in and give you an opportunity to shoot!

Sorry to hear about Matthew as well, here's wishing him a speedy recovery and hope you can get back out soon! :up:

Ouch, sorry to hear about Matthews collar bone. The bubble wrap sounds like a good idea though. lol

Good luck when you get out there again!

Oh and Brian, CONGRATS! 

Sounds like everyone had pretty good first mornings, some better than others, but a lot of exciting hunts and at least a couple of the members are eating turkey! lol

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear