IGNORED

Squirrel hunting question

I'm newish to hunting. I've had my license for a couple years now and have yet to actually procure anything other than fond memories of well armed, long hikes. I wanted to go out Saturday for squirrel and was wondering how Hamburg Mountain was. Has anyone seen anything up there other than bears? I've been up there via the 23 north parking lot, but heard other ways in may be better. Any advice is welcome. 

I dont think there is a square inch of land around that doesnt hold squirrels.  This time of year, you may find certain times of the day where no squirrels are moving, and hour later you may see one hundred of them!  But yes, hamburg mountain has a lot of squirrels.  Pretend you are deer hunting and you will see plenty, lol!

I've been hunting squirrels a lot this year - I typically take either a couple hours in the morning first light or a couple hours at last light to hunt them.

I've been hunting them for several years now and I've come to the basic conclusion that you will mainly see them the first couple hours of light as plan A and the last couple hours prior to sunset (plan B). Yes, they are out and about at other times, but those one to two hours just after sunrise seem to be when they are most active, and just before end of shooting time is their next-to-most active time.

I've tried slowly walking woods to try to cover more ground, but I find when I sit and wait is when I get most of my shots. Especially when its dry, it's almost impossible to walk without the squirrels hearing you and they are going to be weary and stay still and silent or just run away. I like to get into the woods with a small stool, sit next to a tree and just wait them out. You may have to sit still for 15 minutes or more, but once they get comfortable and think the coast-is-clear, you'll start hearing and seeing them scurrying around. Many times, I've had them walk up to me within 5 to 10 yards and not notice me after I've been sitting still like that. After you've been sitting, if you see them off in the distance jumping in the trees, you can try to stalk them - but again, don't be surprised if you get over there and they disappear like ghosts. They can see and hear you and will either move away from you or go still and silent and it will seem like they just disappeared.

Also, another thing I've noticed - try to find water - a creek, a swampy area, pond, lake, etc. and hunt the woods around them.  I was hunting just the other day and I went to a place I never went to before for squirrel. The ground was kind of swampy... so I sat on the outside of it, just on the edge. Sure enough, a half hour before sunset, out comes a squirrel. Find water, and look for oaks nearby and start from there. You can find squirrels anywhere, obviously, but increase your odds by hunting at the right time of day at the right spot.

22 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

I've been hunting squirrels a lot this year - I typically take either a couple hours in the morning first light or a couple hours at last light to hunt them.

I've been hunting them for several years now and I've come to the basic conclusion that you will mainly see them the first couple hours of light as plan A and the last couple hours prior to sunset (plan B). Yes, they are out and about at other times, but those one to two hours just after sunrise seem to be when they are most active, and just before end of shooting time is their next-to-most active time.

I've tried slowly walking woods to try to cover more ground, but I find when I sit and wait is when I get most of my shots. Especially when its dry, it's almost impossible to walk without the squirrels hearing you and they are going to be weary and stay still and silent or just run away. I like to get into the woods with a small stool, sit next to a tree and just wait them out. You may have to sit still for 15 minutes or more, but once they get comfortable and think the coast-is-clear, you'll start hearing and seeing them scurrying around. Many times, I've had them walk up to me within 5 to 10 yards and not notice me after I've been sitting still like that. After you've been sitting, if you see them off in the distance jumping in the trees, you can try to stalk them - but again, don't be surprised if you get over there and they disappear like ghosts. They can see and hear you and will either move away from you or go still and silent and it will seem like they just disappeared.

Also, another thing I've noticed - try to find water - a creek, a swampy area, pond, lake, etc. and hunt the woods around them.  I was hunting just the other day and I went to a place I never went to before for squirrel. The ground was kind of swampy... so I sat on the outside of it, just on the edge. Sure enough, a half hour before sunset, out comes a squirrel. Find water, and look for oaks nearby and start from there. You can find squirrels anywhere, obviously, but increase your odds by hunting at the right time of day at the right spot.

Thank you so much. The spot I found is near a lake and I will hike around and do like you said and find a place to sit for a while and wait. You gave me great advice on the time. Thank you.

Key thing, as noted above, is sitting and waiting for squirrels.  If you move too much, they won't come out.  Find a spot and sit still for about 30 minutes.  Within 10-15 minutes they will start appearing.  If you don't see them after 30 minutes, take a walk to another spot.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

I just started squirrel hunting this year with a friend.  So, I’m no expert.  We hunt black river and most of the time just walk a trail quietly with minimal talking.  They seem to be active around 4 pm. Occasionally, we sit and I use a 2-quarter tapping technique to draw their attention. I don’t always limit out but do come home with at least 3 squirrels each. 

2 hours ago, Merkel said:

I just started squirrel hunting this year with a friend.  So, I’m no expert.  We hunt black river and most of the time just walk a trail quietly with minimal talking.  They seem to be active around 4 pm. Occasionally, we sit and I use a 2-quarter tapping technique to draw their attention. I don’t always limit out but do come home with at least 3 squirrels each. 

That's awesome. I rub two quarters together and I get them to pop out as well, but only when I'm not hunting them. They really are around when I'm hiking or fishing, but not when I'm actively seeking them.

5 minutes ago, JASE111975 said:

That's awesome. I rub two quarters together and I get them to pop out as well, but only when I'm not hunting them. They really are around when I'm hiking or fishing, but not when I'm actively seeking them.

Yup, rubbing and tapping and a little patience - good luck