IGNORED

For you smokers on the fence about quitting.....

Swamprat

Quit. For yourself. For your friends &  family. For your loved ones. 

Now that the holidays have passed wanted to share my family's(mainly my wife) last 2 weeks.  Let me start by saying me and wife are not smokers. Never have been so not sure how hard it is or isn't to quit. 

Christmas morning. About 820am. Boys have just finished opening up their presents. I'm in the kitchen starting breakfast. My wife's cell phone rings and it's her sister in Virginia.  This is when absolute chaos ensues. Sister is screaming.  Short version.  My wife's moms house burned down with her mom in it. The sister lives a few miles away. 

It was deemed accidental.  The mom was found in the bed. Fire started at the bed.  She fell asleep while smoking.  According to the sister the bed and chair had more than a few burns prior to Christmas morning.  I guess it was a matter of time.  

My wife wasn't/isn't exactly close to that side of the family. Saw them twice in 2 years. But it's still her mom and now we are left dealing with it because the rest of them down there are literally useless. The mom had no will so theirs that.  Yay. Not. 

I do not want pity or condolences.  Don't need it. Don't want it. 

If you smoke and want to quit.  Quit.   Imagine trying to tell your kids on Christmas morning that their grandma is dead. Christmas may not be the same for them. Definitely won't be the same for my wife.  

Sorry to be Debbie Downer but figure if I can get one of you or someone you know to quit then  this post was worth it. 

Have a good night folks. 

Nick

I was Army served a portion in Vietnam smoked for 55 years my son joined the Marines along with his best friend and i knew what boot camp was like in the Corp, Said to myself if these two 18 year olds can go through that i can quit. Crumpled the pack up and haven't smoked since. That was 13-14 years ago.

Wow.  That's a tough story.  Very sorry to hear that.  

Smoking is just one of those things that will never make sense to me.  You pay money to light chemicals on fire that you inhale and it will kill you.  It isn't medicinal.  It doesn't get you high or drunk.  It will kill you in an awful way like cancer, heart disease or emphysema.  You'll die young and leave a wake of sadness and heartbreak.  You'll spend your last years on earth suffering.   You have a great chance if polluting and infecting those around you with the same awful diseases. Yet people line up to pay money for that. 

You can't say "I love my kids.  I love my family.  I respect them.  I love  and respect myself" or anything else and then light a smoke.  It iust isn't true.   

4 minutes ago, gobblergetter said:

Best thing you can do for yourself AND loved ones

Take it one moment at a time...gradually it gets easy.

Nicotine an cigarettes suck! Worst habit I ever started! It's slowly killing me last test I know I have COPD big reason for the lack of energy and breath to hunt.:cryingcry:

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

1 minute ago, Nomad said:

Why don't you just chew tobacco like the rest of us Rednecks?

Who you calling a redneck copper? Luv ya mark you're a good man and good dad,you caught your son smoking you kick him in the ass your foot might hurt and Dad I hate you but you would both be grateful in the long run!

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

1 minute ago, hunterbob1 said:

Who you calling a redneck copper? Luv ya mark you're a good man and good dad,you caught your son smoking you kick him in the ass your foot might hurt and Dad I hate you but you would both be grateful in the long run!

You bet.  I will give him an extra kick with your name on it also!!

34 minutes ago, hunterbob1 said:

Nicotine an cigarettes suck! Worst habit I ever started! It's slowly killing me last test I know I have COPD big reason for the lack of energy and breath to hunt.:cryingcry:

Here's a suggestion.  Stop.  Right. Freaking. Now.  Don't ever light another one on fire.  Don't ever buy another pack.  You're smarter than cigarettes.  You're stronger than cigarettes.  You can do it.  Every time you buy a pack or light one up, you're making a choice.  

5 minutes ago, not on the rug said:

Here's a suggestion.  Stop.  Right. Freaking. Now.  Don't ever light another one on fire.  Don't ever buy another pack.  You're smarter than cigarettes.  You're stronger than cigarettes.  You can do it.  Every time you buy a pack or light one up, you're making a choice.  

I'm a nicotine addict.It sucks!I grew up when it was a cool thing to do?WWll gi's Doris Duke.