birdshotnj

Customer Service Rant

Am I alone in think that customer service has just gone to hell across the board? I ordered an ammo safe from Cabelas back in November. After a few weeks, the safe arrives to my house via a freight company. I drag it into the house and unbox it to see that the bottom corner of it is smashed in so badly that the safe can't remain upright on its own. I call Cabelas and they initiate an exchange in which the same freight company will drop me off a new safe and pick up the damaged one. So I have to re-package the safe (annoying, but things happen). I get the call from the freight company yesterday that my new safe is in and they will bring it tomorrow (today) and pick up the old one, and that somebody has to be home to sign for the new safe so my wife stayed home today. I lug the damaged safe back outside this morning, and go to work. The freight company calls and says they're on the way. About 30 min later I get a call from my wife informing me that the new safe is not on the truck, and hear the driver in the background saying "I don't know how this happened" "I forgot to check my truck this morning before I left" and stuff to that effect.  I call the freight company (local NJ company) to see what's going on, and get an attitude from them as though I'm the asshole who messed up. Things happen, however annoying they may be, but you've got some set of balls trying to give me the attitude when this is YOUR mistake. Now I'm pretty pissed, and I tell the driver over the phone to just take the old safe and I'm cancelling the new safe order. Call Cabelas up and cancel the new safe order, and then my wife calls me and tells me the driver left without the damaged safe because its a swap and he isn't authorized to take the old one unless he brought the new one. Call Cabelas to tell them that the 200lb of scrap metal is sitting in my driveway because the driver didn't take it, and they tell me that they didn't think the new safe was supposed to be delivered today, just the damaged one was to be picked up. So I asked them if they communicate at all with their contracted freight companies, because I spoke to them twice yesterday and have 2 emails stating that the new safe is coming today and to make sure someone is home to sign for it. I guess whether it's a big company like cabelas or a small local shipping company, they are equally shitty. Beyond frustrating, and this is exactly why I never shop Cabelas anymore, they just happened to have the exact type of product I was looking for. Does anybody have a recommendation for a good ammo safe? This is like a gun safe, but it has shelves inside from top to bottom, so it was perfect. I've been searching but I can't find anything similar out there.

Nobody cares anymore. I have dealt with customers for 30 years our company goes out of our way to satisfy customers even if they have no leg to stand on ( completely their fault something happened) . People still complain about us and i have to ask sometimes who has ever done this for you? any company or any store?  I understand your frustration because i try very hard to make our customers happy and i hear what other people do to customers and shake my head. Hopefully it all works out for you 

• Like 1

Had something kinda similar happen over the summer. Ordered a fridge from BestBuy.com. I was told it would be delivered one day, but that morning the delivery got canceled! Was told it would be later in the week. Never got a confirmation so I called back - got told it was canceled again - scheduled for the following week. Now, remember - when you get a new fridge delivered, they tell you to clear out the passage ways (move furniture, etc), turn off the old fridge (which means everything had to go, it was empty by the time that first scheduled day came around). So I ended up having no fridge with no food for a week and the house furniture moved all out of the way because we kept thinking we were getting a fridge only to be canceled just before delivery. Kicker is I would go to the website to try to get updates, and I would get errors saying, "We’re sorry, something went wrong." BestBuy wasn't even going to compensate me - I had to ask what they were going to do to help make up for this... only then did they offer me a 50 gift certificate (which made me laugh -- so, BestBuy, your service and delivery sucks and your answer to this is to give me a gift cert to force me to spend more money and buy something from you again? You can't just wave the delivery fee??)

There is something about these third-party delivery companies and how things get screwed up with them.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BowhunterNJ said:

Damn that sucks, been there!  

What's the Cabela's one you had so we can try to match it?

Yea man, its so frustrating over something so simple. I attached the picture below 

Screenshot_20200109-144556_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

Had something kinda similar happen over the summer. Ordered a fridge from BestBuy.com. I was told it would be delivered one day, but that morning the delivery got canceled! Was told it would be later in the week. Never got a confirmation so I called back - got told it was canceled again - scheduled for the following week. Now, remember - when you get a new fridge delivered, they tell you to clear out the passage ways (move furniture, etc), turn off the old fridge (which means everything had to go, it was empty by the time that first scheduled day came around). So I ended up having no fridge with no food for a week and the house furniture moved all out of the way because we kept thinking we were getting a fridge only to be canceled just before delivery. Kicker is I would go to the website to try to get updates, and I would get errors saying, "We’re sorry, something went wrong." BestBuy wasn't even going to compensate me - I had to ask what they were going to do to help make up for this... only then did they offer me a 50 gift certificate (which made me laugh -- so, BestBuy, your service and delivery sucks and your answer to this is to give me a gift cert to force me to spend more money and buy something from you again? You can't just wave the delivery fee??)

There is something about these third-party delivery companies and how things get screwed up with them.

The $50 gift certificate they offered you is more of an insult than anything. Sometimes an ill gesture is worse than no gesture at all. They all suck, and I've seen that the bigger the company, the worse they are. You would think the big guys would have their act together.

16 minutes ago, birdshotnj said:

Yea man, its so frustrating over something so simple. I attached the picture below 

Screenshot_20200109-144556_Chrome.jpg

That's a "cabinet" not a "safe" technically, right?? I ordered something very similar a few years ago. And, yes, I had a dent in it when it got delivered! But it wasn't so bad that I wanted to return it.

I got one of those StackOn cabinets - this:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sentinel-18-Gun-Fully-Convertible-Cabinet-Black/19216477

Now, in the picture, it shows one side is shelves and the other side empty to fit your guns, but it comes with an extra shelf that you can put on the other side (which sounds like what you want - shelves on both sides).

Take a look at the stackon website - they show it with shelves on both sides (with room up front to fit long guns if you want). Here: https://www.stack-on.com/product/18-gun-security-cabinet/

(I just noticed that in your picture, it has the green ammo can on the bottom - I have those same ammo cans and tried to put one on the bottom of my cabinet and IIRC it was a tight fit)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ithaca10 said:

And we bash Dick's.

Cabelas might have a customer service issue, but at least they don't have a CEO that wants to revoke our 2A rights (and says so every chance he gets)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ithaca10 said:

And we bash Dick's.

Dick's in Paramus is now removing their hunting section, along with a lot of other stores. 

Freight companies suck.  People complain about UPS and Fedex but heavy freight is a whole new level of incompetence.    In 2019 we received close to 1 million in damage goods. 

• Like 1

I can remember ordering things through Lowes that got damaged over and over and over, each order with like 2-3 week delays.  I needed like 20 pieces of an item and probably wound up returning nearly twice that many to get 20 "good" pieces.  I told them I might as well order 3 times as much as I need and pick through what's not beat to hell looking like it was dropped off an airplane.  Took like 3 months to get a "complete" order.

I can't get an appliance delivered without sending it back at least once.  The last freezer looked like somebody took a few swings at it with a sledge hammer, without damaging the box.  I have them open everything before bringing it up the driveway.  That way it can go right back on the truck.

When I was to ute in my twenties I work for the eighth chicolini Brothers I'd pick up appliances personally at warehouses in Newark Edison I would remove the old appliances install the new ones no dent no scratches old appliance went on the truck $20 tip I was thrilled them were the good old days!

• Like 1