allmann

Farthest Ethical shot with a slug?

2 hours ago, Slayer1962 said:

I had a Mossberg 12 gauge slug gun with the gol trigger and trim forget what model it was. Luepold scope and one piece rings. That thing pounded me to the point i did not want to shoot it.

Keep in mind 35 years later i  use a 10 gauge with buckshot with no issues ! I just felt the gun had no give and just fired the shell directly into my shoulder lol

I coul never shoot it accurately , I am sure the gun was fine. Get the 20 and never look back. 

Problem with shotgun slug guns in the past are most of them not really set up to shoot like a rifle. Just bird guns with rifled slug barrels. Bad triggers is one thing. Also, the recoil force of a 12 ga is heavy, even if you use an autoloader that is "soft shooting". Combine this with high velocity slugs shooting 2,000 fps and you have the makings of a terrible long distance shooter. I had a 20 ga H+R that I swear recoiled almost as much as my 12 ga H+R. Maybe the extra weight of the 12 ga bull barrel calmed it down a little. I sold both of them. Not all Slug Guns are created equal. 

Edited by archer36

19 hours ago, megavites said:

I dropped a buck last yr using 20g 3" Accutips at 125yds in my H&R and for me 150yds on sticks is the farthest I would reach out.

Hell, my problem is those 15yd shots!

Good point.....there is a certain point with close shots when the projectile with hit significantly lower than the crosshairs.  

• Like 1

This is the first year I am using the 220 and  having out only a few times to the range I am confident the gun has the ability to shoot out to 200+, but I am perfectly happy keeping my shots to 100yds. I am sure after a few more range cycles I will push it out to 200 for practice, maybe one day 150 on game.   I just found the video interesting and was curious what everyone felt about taking game at anything over 125-150. I have heard a lot of guys say they have taken deer at 150+. Figured I would get responses from many with more experience than myself on here, wasn't trying to stir the pot. 

I'll stir. :stirring:

I go on a PA hunting web site and do you know there are a very large group of guys who purposely try to see how far they can shoot deer?  That's what they enjoy, making personal best long range shots.  Many have shot them at over 1000 yards with rifles.  I guess you could try for personal best long distance shot with any weapon, no?  

They vehemently defend the practice claiming to be proficient at those yardages.

I don't care for the practice myself.

Edited by Nomad

5 minutes ago, MGHunter66 said:

No :happywave:

I didn't mean it that way.  I fixed it.

26 minutes ago, Nomad said:

I guess you could try for personal best long distance shot with any weapon, no? 

No :happywave::happywave:

This is how I feel anyone should approach this... most likely you will be hunting in a treestand without the aid of a bench... that being said, go to the range with a chair and shooting sticks. Put a clay bird at 100yrds, now sit down, use the shooting sticks as a rest and try to hit the clay bird. After five shots ask yourself if it would be ethical for you to take that shot or one further

Edited by MGHunter66

1 minute ago, MGHunter66 said:

This is how I feel anyone should approach this... most likely you will be hunting in a treestand without the aid of a bench... that being said, go to the range with a chair and shooting sticks. Put a clay bird at 100yrds, now sit down, use the shooting sticks as a rest and try to hit the clay bird. After five shots ask yourself if it would be ethical for you to take that shot or one further

Now I have to hit a clay bird?  I thought the traditional target was a paper plate?;)

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, MGHunter66 said:

This is why I switched almost all my stands to ladders with shooting rails. Also learn how to wrap the sling around your elbow and use a knee as a rest. Rarely will I ever freehand a shot

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I love the 870 for birds & turkey but with pump action & slugs,  I always feel the looseness in the forearm will hurt accuracy.  Doubt it matters much at 70 ydes but think it does when you shooting 100-150.

300 yards???? I can't see that far let alone shoot that far...

Ethical shot distance I say would be 100 yard max for the average hunter,  150 yard for a more advanced shooter and 200 yards for guys that do long range shooting all the time.  

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, gregtpal said:

I love the 870 for birds & turkey but with pump action & slugs,  I always feel the looseness in the forearm will hurt accuracy.  Doubt it matters much at 70 ydes but think it does when you shooting 100-150.

870 sucks As a slug gun. It kicks and the trigger is the worse. 

5 hours ago, Lunatic said:

870 sucks As a slug gun. It kicks and the trigger is the worse. 

Im never bothered by the 870 recoil.  Wondering if you have a synthetic stock or extra short barrel or anything else that would make yours lighter than average.  Supposedly light guns kick harder than heavy models