allmann

Farthest Ethical shot with a slug?

3 minutes ago, tcook8296 said:

Either you have a cheap scope/rings, wrong slug for your gun, you are flinching or jerking the trigger,heating the barrel or a bad rest or a combination of things going on. 

No reason why todays rifled slugs cant get a decent group at 100 yrds

I am sure its something but I don't even care to find out. I just don't like the gun

5 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

I am sure its something but I don't even care to find out. I just don't like the gun

What kind of gun?

Im assuming its not a H&r or Savage. 

I have both and they both shoot really well

3 minutes ago, tcook8296 said:

What kind of gun?

Im assuming its not a H&r or Savage. 

I have both and they both shoot really well

12 ga Remington 870 Super Slug. The trigger on this thing is the worse and it kicks like it wants to kill you:happywave:

Remington.jpg

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

12 ga Remington 870 Super Slug. The trigger on this thing is the worse and it kicks like it wants to kill you:happywave:

Remington.jpg

870's seem to do a lot better when the barrel is pinned.

9 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

The trigger on this thing is the worse and it kicks like it wants to kill you

Haha :rofl:

10 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

Remington.jpg

Wanna trade it for a 22250

16 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

Remington.jpg

Synthetic stock 12 ga pump guns are brutal with recoil.  When I was young and dumb I shot 3" mag rifled slugs out of one.  My brain would rattle. That would explain a lot of things.  Lol. 

52 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

Remington.jpg

Yup, you are flinching

• Agree 1

I know my Savage 220 so well, but I don't know if presented with  200 yard shot on game if I would take it...not questioning myself or the gun but I don't want to injury the game nor a long track.....so under 200 yards yes no issues

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

Remington.jpg

That's your whole problem, just the thought of a 12 ga. makes me flinch...haha Try one of the 20 gauges mentioned above using 2 3/4 slugs, very nice and very deadly:up:

Edited by bucky

Took a shot this year with my 220, 3" accu tips off a rest at a buck that I guessed was 160yds away. My 157 BDC put the top crosshair just hovering over his back. Clean miss. Buck was actually 190yds. That slug drops hard and fast. I wouldnt take it past 150 now. Who knows what penetration youll get? Or how much of that will expand?

450bushmaster is pushing a similar 260gr bullet faster and with more energy and its touted as a 200yd gun. Ive shot hogs at 150 with the 450 and they carried that bulled 50yds or more before piling up. I was very confident and comfortable in myself and setup but now some wind has been taken from my sail. Next year will be a muzzleloader year instead.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bucky said:

That's your whole problem, just the thought of a 12 ga. makes my brain rattle...haha Try one of the 20 gauges mentioned above using 2 3/4 slugs, very nice:up:

Maybe one day but I really never liked SGs. I hunt with my ML, it gives me a longer season and the only reason for me to get a SG permit is if I tagged out on my ML early

2 minutes ago, tcook8296 said:

Yup, you are flinching

beat me to it..lol

If you have any question if the bullet will hit its mark when you shoot then it is unethical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

200 yards with my Ithaca DSIII and 3" Winchester Partition Gold slugs.  3" high at 100 yards, puts me 8" low at 200.  Can put them in a 4" circle at 200.

• Like 2