IGNORED

question to those that hang their own deer

mazzgolf

3 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

Debone it.  it doesn't take long to remove the meat sections from the bone.  It will fit in one cooler that way.  Keep the meat up so the ice water and blood drains away from the meat.

I had a doe quartered in a medium size cooler, they are not that big.,

This right there is the key, keep the meat off the ice and dry

Skin and prop the cavity open overnight, then qtr the next day and put it in the fridge if you have room  If not then butcher it.

Hanging Time

65-70 degrees   24-36 hours

50 degrees        3-4 days

35-40 degrees   7-10 days

I took these from a  book on butchering. I’ve been following these guidelines for over 19 years as I do all my own butchering.

7 minutes ago, jerseyhunter said:

Skin and prop the cavity open overnight, then qtr the next day and put it in the fridge if you have room  If not then butcher it.

Hanging Time

65-70 degrees   24-36 hours

50 degrees        3-4 days

35-40 degrees   7-10 days

I took these from a  book on butchering. I’ve been following these guidelines for over 19 years as I do all my own butchering.

You can't do it no more,sad.

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

As said skin and quarter after you kill..  I put in contractor garbage bag with paper towel in it and put in my fridge than do a little each night.  With that said the one I killed Tues is getting done tommorow since it's going to warm up

Edited by vdep217

The high temp is basically the low temp for Saturday and Sunday (at least where I'm at). They are calling for low of 60 and high of 65 from 11am Saturday to 5pm Sunday - with the temps never going below 50 from 12noon today  through 8pm Sunday.

weather.jpg.01fe23a93646c2feb8c10841abb4a2a4.jpg

In the end, I decided to go goose hunting this morning - and didn't see a single bird (well, that's not true, when I pulled into my development coming home, I saw a flock fly over the houses :rant:)

I still have time - I'm going to wait for the temps to cool down - end of next week looks like we're gonna get a cold blast and some possible snow. I haven't hunted in the snow yet this year and I really like hunting deer in the snow - so I'm happy to wait it out a bit longer.