IGNORED

WTB Youth Crossbow & Questions

Tuck

SO my 10 year old daughter asked me over the weekend when she could start shooting a crossbow to go hunting with me?  (what took so long:acclaim:)

I said as soon as we can find one for you!!!  Thus my search begins.....

Any recommendations for a crossbow for her??  She has fired my tenpoint stealth, but it is a little big for her

If I get something with Acudraw(which I think is now down to 5 lbs to pull), is it still legal to hunt NJ?

I have a big blind and also a shooting tripod, so that side is taken care of, but I guess I will be looking for some youth size camo if anyone has any they are looking to move along.

Thanks for any suggestions and ideas.

Edited by Tuck
Added info

Parker isn't around anymore but you may be able to get your hands on one and the cocking device that goes with it.  They used to make nice youth models that were light weight.  She does need to be able to cock it herself for the test but she can use a crank cocking aid, tri-pod and chair.  

Must get the Caldwell Field Pod for hunting out of a blind.  It is awesome for the kids and increases accuracy like you wouldn't believe.

Ten Point used to make a Shadow Ultralight which is nice and light.  It used to cost a few bucks but you can probably find some used or cheaper because it isn't the newest model.  my kids use it and I use it so it is a nice fit.

I found this online for you....https://www.archerypower.com/best-youth-crossbow/

I don't know where you are located but Simon Peter which I think it up in Andover has a bunch of crossbows on-hand and you can try them out.  Andover Hunt & Fish is down the road so you can get the best price between them.

If you are located in north Jersey, I have two girls myself that are teens.  If you want help shopping or to get the girls out to shoot together so they feel relaxed we are around.  I also have the Caldwell field pod and the Shadow Ultralight by Ten Point that can be tried out.  I'm in Rockaway.  Below are a few pics with their original Parker crossbow.  You can see the advantage of having the tripod

photo (6).JPG

I would assume she hasn’t taken the hunter safety course yet? If she hasn’t...

Look for a model that is compact and light, that is key for kids. Forget about the rest in the beginning, she will need to shoot offhand or just with a steady eddy at first to become familiar with it. Most make the mistake of letting them shoot off a tripod rest and they never get the feel for the xbow and don’t handle it well if there is always a prop. Look at a couple and let her handle them, you’ll know right away what works and what doesn’t. And let me check on the camo, may be able to help there, just have to look through what we still have

AWM

2 hours ago, Tuck said:

If I get something with Acudraw(which I think is now down to 5 lbs to pull), is it still legal to hunt NJ?

There is the Acudraw and the Acudraw 50.  The acudraw 50 just cuts the draw weight in half, not to 5lbs.  The Acudraw has the crank and a 5 year old can turn the crank its that easy.

1 hour ago, Nighthawk said:

Check out the Parker Challenger II youth crossbow.  It’s a awesome little crossbow. This is the third season that my son has been hunting with it and I have no complaints. 

Parker is out of business. I picked up a pse fang lt. Superlite with plenty of zip

16 hours ago, BHC said:

Centerpoint makes very good crossbows at a great price point, very accurate and reliable,  some models come with or accept a crank draw, and a few models come with a adjustable stock

Have to agree with BHC, Centerpoint makes some good crossbows that are affordable and the adjustable stock alone will allow them to shoot a lot longer as they grow.