IGNORED

Early Antler Shedding

Buck154

Anyone notice more than normal bucks have shed their antlers already? I have had 2 on camera which is not much but i'm in central Jersey. Some bucks will shed early if in poor health. But I know of at least 3 or 4 guys that have found sheds already. Have seen a few guys post trail cam pictures of some shedheads on the site too.  So if you are looking to take a big fat doe in this late season take a close look cause it maybe a buck that shed already. 

33 minutes ago, Buck154 said:

Anyone notice more than normal bucks have shed their antlers already? I have had 2 on camera which is not much but i'm in central Jersey. Some bucks will shed early if in poor health. But I know of at least 3 or 4 guys that have found sheds already. Have seen a few guys post trail cam pictures of some shedheads on the site too.  So if you are looking to take a big fat doe in this late season take a close look cause it maybe a buck that shed already. 

Bucks have been shedding since first week in December . 

This isn't the first year it's been happening .

IMO it has nothing to do with  stress or animal health .

Once peak breeding is done and testosterone levels drop bucks can start to drop.

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

1 minute ago, hammer4reel said:

Bucks have been shedding since first week in December . 

This isn't the first year it's been happening .

IMO it has nothing to do with  stress or animal health .

Once peak breeding is done and testosterone levels drop bucks can start to drop.

There is definitely more than normal this early and poor health will definitely cause a buck to shed early 

It seems up north by me they have shed earlier the last few years.  Areas i hunt (north morris/ passaic county) have an excellent buck to doe ratio but not many deer.  This produces a more intense rut really tiring these bucks out.  I use to see plenty of bucks with antlers in february and even march.  Now, they seem to all be shed by mid january.  Just my observations.

14 minutes ago, Buck154 said:

There is definitely more than normal this early and poor health will definitely cause a buck to shed early 

While poor health can cause it .IMO 

It's not poor health in many cases these bucks are shedding .

In a bunch of areas I hunt bucks have continually dropped the first week in December and it's the better bucks that had shed .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

I have one with one horn on camera but at least 12 others with full racks.  I'm still seeing chasing and scrapes too.  I set a stand and a camera up on a big scrape yesterday so we'll see what's there.  There was a solid 8 at the scrape Saturday night but I was about 80 yards away.  Middlesex County

21 minutes ago, SPEARFISH said:

I have one with one horn on camera but at least 12 others with full racks.  I'm still seeing chasing and scrapes too.  I set a stand and a camera up on a big scrape yesterday so we'll see what's there.  There was a solid 8 at the scrape Saturday night but I was about 80 yards away.  Middlesex County

Yeah they were hitting the scrapes hard last week