IGNORED

New "Tradititional" Bow for me

BuzzBomber

So, after having a couple of compound bows as a kid and stepping away for a decade or two, I found an older Parker Wildfire locally and shot that for a season or two, got my first buck with it.  Still, felt like I was missing something.  I picked up an OMP Smoky Mountain Hunter to try out traditional archery and discovered I liked it better than shooting the compound.  Fast forward a year and I decided to upgrade - just got my Win and Win Black Wolf in 60" / 45# via Lancaster Archery a couple days back.  Just starting to get it tuned.  Anybody else shooting one?  Is a bow that's more carbon fiber than wood still traditional?  :hmmmer:

Shooting traditional is fun.  Shooting a compound with sights is just a mechanical process and not so much fun.   Enjoy it Buzz!!  :up::up:

8 hours ago, BuzzBomber said:

Is a bow that's more carbon fiber than wood still traditional?  :hmmmer:

Since you asked.  :rofl:

Are you shooting off the shelf or a rest?  Do you use any type of sights or sighting or do you shoot purely instinctive?  

11 hours ago, BuzzBomber said:

Is a bow that's more carbon fiber than wood still traditional?  :hmmmer:

Still a stick and string with no crap on it, traditional.  Although you may be the subject of some jokes from some guys who shoot all wood bows.;)

Edited by Nomad

3 hours ago, Rusty said:

Shooting traditional is fun.  Shooting a compound with sights is just a mechanical process and not so much fun.   Enjoy it Buzz!!  :up::up:

Since you asked.  :rofl:

Are you shooting off the shelf or a rest?  Do you use any type of sights or sighting or do you shoot purely instinctive?  

So far all my recurve experience ( a whole year of it:rolleyes:) has been shooting off the shelf.  I have gone back and forth between shooting instinctive and using the arrow as a sight, but no bow mounted sight.  I'm really enjoying this so far!  One thing's for sure, I'm paying a LOT more attention to my form since starting traditional.

12 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Still a stick and string with no crap on it, traditional.  Although you may be the subject of some jokes from some guys who shoot all wood bows.;)

We'll see what kinda crap I get when I bring it to the next club shoot:)

On another note, I got my 9 yo and 12 yo involved in the club's kids night last year, and they both HATED shooting the compound I got them (Diamond Nuclear Ice).  Now they both have their own recurves (Bear Bullseye X and OMP Adventure) and shoot instinctive really well at ~10 yards!

Thanks for the replies!

Stick and string is traditional no matter what its made of.  There was plenty of metal and phenolic bows “back in the day”.  Most all wood bows today are made with CNC machines and are hardly “traditionally” made.  I cant even think of a single great bowyer today that makes wood bows by hand.  Enjoy your trad journey 

6 hours ago, BuzzBomber said:

So far all my recurve experience ( a whole year of it:rolleyes:) has been shooting off the shelf.  I have gone back and forth between shooting instinctive and using the arrow as a sight, but no bow mounted sight.  I'm really enjoying this so far!  One thing's for sure, I'm paying a LOT more attention to my form since starting traditional.

:up::up:

• 5 months later...

Having lost a lot of weight since January and not being able to go to the gym I also lost a lot of strength.  Last week I went to shoot my compound and was unable to draw it back. I think it was set at 58#. I adjusted it down to about 52#. I was able to shoot it today, but I need to do some tuning and sight pin adjustment.

I would prefer to switch to a 45# recurve.  The downside to that is I am not sure I could get proficient with it by the start of bow season. 

14 minutes ago, 230jhp said:

Having lost a lot of weight since January and not being able to go to the gym I also lost a lot of strength.  Last week I went to shoot my compound and was unable to draw it back. I think it was set at 58#. I adjusted it down to about 52#. I was able to shoot it today, but I need to do some tuning and sight pin adjustment.

I would prefer to switch to a 45# recurve.  The downside to that is I am not sure I could get proficient with it by the start of bow season. 

Why not shoot a 40# recurve or even less?  The most i shoot now is 43# and i blow through most every animal i shoot at.  Accuracy is the key and there is plenty of time to get proficient before hunting season.  Im shooting a 38# border covert hunter right now.  It shoots a 480 gr arrow at 178 fps which is smoking by trad standards.  I would feel confident hunting any animal up to and including elk with this bow.  Dont let low draw weight discourage you from hunting with a stickbow.  If the arrow build is adequate with a good tune, the deer wont know the difference!

12 hours ago, Gobblengrunt said:

Why not shoot a 40# recurve or even less?  The most i shoot now is 43# and i blow through most every animal i shoot at.  Accuracy is the key and there is plenty of time to get proficient before hunting season.  Im shooting a 38# border covert hunter right now.  It shoots a 480 gr arrow at 178 fps which is smoking by trad standards.  I would feel confident hunting any animal up to and including elk with this bow.  Dont let low draw weight discourage you from hunting with a stickbow.  If the arrow build is adequate with a good tune, the deer wont know the difference!

What tuning on a stick bow other than location of the nock point? String length perhaps?

I assumed a traditional bow was plug and play.

With regard to getting proficient I have s Browning Cobra 60#. I cannot hit the broad side of a barn with it even when I had all my strength. I'm not convinced I could get confident enough to shoot at an animal with even a with 40# stick bow in two months.

2 hours ago, 230jhp said:

What tuning on a stick bow other than location of the nock point? String length perhaps?

I assumed a traditional bow was plug and play.

With regard to getting proficient I have s Browning Cobra 60#. I cannot hit the broad side of a barn with it even when I had all my strength. I'm not convinced I could get confident enough to shoot at an animal with even a with 40# stick bow in two months.

60 pounds is pretty heavy for most people. That could’ve been a lot of your problem.  Get that 45 pounder out and practice, just decide you’re going to do it. I don’t know where you live but you’re always welcome to stop by I could help you out with it.

To get proficient at trad shooting, your form and shot execution must be spot on.   Most archers get discouraged with their trad accuracy because they are shooting too much weight to consistently shoot with good form and place that into muscle memory.  I would suggest buying/ shooting a good bow with takedown limbs to move up in weight when your form is consistent.  A samick sage is one of the best “cheap” bows that fit this need.  Shoot a bow like this at 25-30# for awhile before moving up in weight.  Shoot the low weight regardless of your strength as you are training your brain and not your muscles.  Then incrementally move up in weight until you reach the highest weight you can shoot with COMPLETE control.  I’m in Morris county and can help you achieve your goal if you need help.  Btw, tuning a stickbow can be quite complicated if you are looking for a true tune which relates into a bare shaft flying perfectly straight out past 20 yards but consistent form and shot execution is needed first.  Accuracy will follow.  Give me a day or two and I will get you proficient faster than you think!