IGNORED

leach field question

Kype

i have 4 markers that surround my leach field. they are 4" pvc pipes that protrude the grass by about 4-6 inches and have caps on them. 

can i cut these pvc pipes flush with the ground level so i dont see them sticking up? should i recap them after i cut them flush with the ground? or should i just leave them alone and deal with looking at them?

4 minutes ago, KBfishing said:

Yes. They should have been cut flush to begin with. I would recommend the concave push caps instead of the screw caps. That way you can drive over them with the lawn mower and not break them. They are meant to see if the field has a high water level or if it is dry

ok thanks

43 minutes ago, KBfishing said:

Yes. They should have been cut flush to begin with. I would recommend the concave push caps instead of the screw caps. That way you can drive over them with the lawn mower and not break them. They are meant to see if the field has a high water level or if it is dry

Oooooo I though those were to mark where the leach field was, just learned something new. Thanks👍

19 minutes ago, Psehunter said:

Oooooo I though those were to mark where the leach field was, just learned something new. Thanks👍

thats what i thought. am i missing something? i thought the 4 markers were to let you know where the leach field is. so you dont put anything heavy like park a car on top of it

They are called observation ports. They extend down to the top of the suitable fill and at the bottom of the stone. If you see water in them it is not a good sign. Also good to not park heavy things on the field also. Its funny because most people see the flat spot in there yard and put the above ground pool or swing set there. 🙄

6 minutes ago, KBfishing said:

They are called observation ports. They extend down to the top of the suitable fill and at the bottom of the stone. If you see water in them it is not a good sign. Also good to not park heavy things on the field also. Its funny because most people see the flat spot in there yard and put the above ground pool or swing set there. 🙄

What happens if you see water in them? I assume it means its backing up. 

Just curious. Im new to living in the sticks and the whole septic thing. Dont know much about them except I went with a Fuji system. It cost me more for it, I was told it was a good system but I dont know

Edited by tcook8296

www.liftxrentals.com

If the ports have water in them it usually means the suitable fill has a thick biomat and it is sealing off or too much water is being put into the system and it is not draining fast enough. I have not seen the fuji system but it looks comparable to other advanced treatment systems. They are definately better for the enviroment but do add about 10k to the install cost and require a maintenance contract. 

Edited by KBfishing

4 minutes ago, KBfishing said:

If the ports have water in them it usually means the suitable fill has a thick biomat and it is sealing off or too much water is being put into the system and it is not draining fast enough. I have not seen the fuji system but it looks comparable to other advanced treatment systems. They are definately better for the enviroment but do add about 10k to the install cost and require a maintenance contract. 

Yes. Cost me about 30 grand and I do have a maintenance contract. Supposed to be a smaller leech field and eliminate the giant turkey mound which is the main reason I went with it. 

I didnt want to look at a huge mound of dirt. 

www.liftxrentals.com

7 minutes ago, tcook8296 said:

Yes. Cost me about 30 grand and I do have a maintenance contract. Supposed to be a smaller leech field and eliminate the giant turkey mound which is the main reason I went with it. 

I didnt want to look at a huge mound of dirt. 

Yes. It shaves about 2.5 feet off of the mound height and makes the bed 1/3 smaller.