Where is state buying their pheasants from? Assunpink sux/up north is loaded

Bonefreak

50 minutes ago, Bonefreak said:

I dont know all these fellas so I blocked out the pic......but in all my 36 years at assunpink i have never seen a tailgate full of so many cockbirds......and these fellas were done by 1030 when I got their report from "state land up near stokes" while I'm driving 50 mins home from assunpink just holding my schleb!  

There's always games going on with these stocking programs....whether its trout finding their way to a private pond, or pheasants dumped in lots n not spread out, etc. 

I think I'm done too. Used to be a tradition w friends and family. Now it's just exercise for setter n me.....and I have realized how dumb it is to try and chase the South Dakota dream rt here in NJ on stocked birds!!

20191229_103335.jpg

Saw this post and had to create an account to respond. That is myself and my group from Saturday in a wma in the flatbrook area. We have hunted this area for twenty years and nearly every Tuesday Thursday and Saturday throughout the season with 5-9 hunters. Most outings lasted 4-5 hours and yielded 3-5 pheasant. We have had days this season when we didn’t even flush a bird like any other hunter will have. We have also had non stocking days in flatbrook wma when we shot 4 or 5 birds. I appreciate you accusing me of somehow having birds specially stocked off the grid for myself. 

Last saturday there was a father and son who hunted this field and shot 3 birds along with two birds that we were able to find. 

I occasionally find myself frustrated with the program after I’ve walked 8 miles through thickets and my legs are bleeding through my brush pants to come up empty handed just like any other nj pheasant hunter, but if you put the time and effort in, eventually you will have a day for the books. 

15 minutes ago, H2Ofowler said:

Saw this post and had to create an account to respond. That is myself and my group from Saturday in a wma in the flatbrook area. We have hunted this area for twenty years and nearly every Tuesday Thursday and Saturday throughout the season with 5-9 hunters. Most outings lasted 4-5 hours and yielded 3-5 pheasant. We have had days this season when we didn’t even flush a bird like any other hunter will have. We have also had non stocking days in flatbrook wma when we shot 4 or 5 birds. I appreciate you accusing me of somehow having birds specially stocked off the grid for myself. 

Last saturday there was a father and son who hunted this field and shot 3 birds along with two birds that we were able to find. 

I occasionally find myself frustrated with the program after I’ve walked 8 miles through thickets and my legs are bleeding through my brush pants to come up empty handed just like any other nj pheasant hunter, but if you put the time and effort in, eventually you will have a day for the books. 

Congrats on your successful day afield and welcome  aboard to NJWW!

But where did you get the idea that you were accused of "somehow having birds specially stocked off the grid for" you??!!

28 minutes ago, H2Ofowler said:

Last saturday there was a father and son who hunted this field and shot 3 birds along with two birds that we were able to find. occasionally find myself frustrated with the program after I’ve walked 8 miles through thickets and my legs are bleeding through my brush pants to come up empty handed just like any other nj pheasant hunter, but if you put the time and effort in, eventually you will have a day for the books. 

Hey H2O...welcome..if you can write a quick intro if you plan on staying. This is a great resource for info other than hunting/fishing. Pictures are also welcomed!

13 minutes ago, Bonefreak said:

Congrats on your successful day afield and welcome  aboard to NJWW!

But where did you get the idea that you were accused of "somehow having birds specially stocked off the grid for" you??!!

“There's always games going on with these stocking programs....whether its trout finding their way to a private pond, or pheasants dumped in lots n not spread out, etc. “

the games youre referring to is what i was referencing. Sure some birds get put near parking areas and I don’t like that just as much as you. I’ve shot birds 20 feet from a parking lot and 2 miles from the nearest stocking area. My best and favorite spot to pheasant hunt is not stocked, just flyovers.  Those who stock do what they can. After that big north jersey thaw we had, many of the fields are sloppy messes and not drivable. I personally would prefer birds get put out wherever possible than have the stocking truck stuck in one field all night waiting for a tractor to come pull it out because it was trying to plant each bird. Pheasant do have wings and feet and are not required to stay where they are put. I guess I just see the stocking program a bit differently. I and many others on here (from what I have seen) will enjoy shooting State stocked pheasant well into January this year. 

Ps thanks for the welcome

1 minute ago, H2Ofowler said:

“There's always games going on with these stocking programs....whether its trout finding their way to a private pond, or pheasants dumped in lots n not spread out, etc. “

the games youre referring to is what i was referencing. Sure some birds get put near parking areas and I don’t like that just as much as you. I’ve shot birds 20 feet from a parking lot and 2 miles from the nearest stocking area. My best and favorite spot to pheasant hunt is not stocked, just flyovers.  Those who stock do what they can. After that big north jersey thaw we had, many of the fields are sloppy messes and not drivable. I personally would prefer birds get put out wherever possible than have the stocking truck stuck in one field all night waiting for a tractor to come pull it out because it was trying to plant each bird. Pheasant do have wings and feet and are not required to stay where they are put. I guess I just see the stocking program a bit differently. I and many others on here (from what I have seen) will enjoy shooting State stocked pheasant well into January this year. 

Ps thanks for the welcome

10-4!

I did not mean to associate any monkey business going on with your successful day and sorry if you took it that way....was more in line of wondering if the state is allocating birds more up north. 

I too prefer to hunt holdover birds far away from where they are originally stocked....if I find the right cover....1/2 mile to a mile from where birds were stocked..  i find em well into January n February...and a few times in April during spring gobbler season!!

Unfortunately, the way it's been lookin at some of my far out spots....I dont think I will be huntin in central region in January n February...and may have to go north for some smart holdovers.

And....like Touch of Grey said....dont be a stranger...there are a great bunch of sportsman on here with a lot of knowledge n woods wisdom....n can usually find a good deal on some gear sometimes!  

The State  did raise pheasants that were released to 24 WMA's  but the Fish and Game Council voted in February, 2018 to expand the purchase of adult pheasants to satisfy 100% of the birds needed for the stocking program.   

Today, birds are purchased from commerical breeders and distributed on select Wildlife Management Areas.

Edited by nickmarch

I have 6   1 1/2 to 2 hour late afternoon non stocking day hunts in Clinton in 2 different areas, saw and shot one pheasant.    I see some  shot feathers in the first fields off the parking lots but that's not my kind of hunting.   I live 10 mins from the Clinton fields and know every inch of it and have a good dog that will run 7/ 10 miles in a short hunt.  Running a dog without a reasonable number of bird contact will ruin a dog.   Good thing I hunt PA and New England.