IGNORED

McMillan stock for 220

nmc02

I restocked one in a boyds laminate for a friend, glass bedded and shoots great. Don’t know much about the Mcmillans but the rest of their stocks are top notch so I wouldn’t expect anything short of superior to the plastic savage uses. I would go with regular weight as not to end up with a barrel heavy gun

AWM

from what I have seen over the years, the Mcmillian stocks are really good looking, great quality but super expensive ....per their webpage they showing not available for the Savage 220 at this time, maybe it's a item that's a special order

Friend of mine after two years changed out his Savage 220 stock to a Boyds, glass bedded and his groups wasn't any better then the standard stock, it's nice looking and better feel for sure

50 minutes ago, BHC said:

Friend of mine after two years changed out his Savage 220 stock to a Boyds, glass bedded and his groups wasn't any better then the standard stock, it's nice looking and better feel for sure

I just ordered a Boyd's thumbhole for mine. I always thought a thumbhole would be perfect for the 220. 

I'm not expecting accuracy to improve over the factory stock but I am worried about accuracy degrading. Mine shoots incredibly tight groups with 2.75 Accutips. 

12 minutes ago, Dogface said:

I just ordered a Boyd's thumbhole for mine. I always thought a thumbhole would be perfect for the 220. 

I'm not expecting accuracy to improve over the factory stock but I am worried about accuracy degrading. Mine shoots incredibly tight groups with 2.75 Accutips. 

As long as the bedding is good and the action screws are torqued correctly accuracy should be the same or better

AWM

18 minutes ago, nmc02 said:

I had problems w a Boyd's stock....it cracked twice (Tc omega mz). They gave me a hard time returning it. I won't buy again from them

that sucks, and bad customer service, I don't blame you about avoiding them

I have been looking at the 220 for a little while. I'm definitely buying one this year. The only version I didn't like was the thumb hole stock. Having a thumb safety with thumb hole is an awkward movement for me. I'm sure you get used to it but I think muscle memory will be difficult.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Boyds seem decent to me but heavy.   I bedded a friend’s 220 in a Boyd’s and the inletting was pretty good.  I also agree with previous post about the thumb hole stock and safety being awkward.  The only negative with the McMillan is the price.  Like most things, you get what you pay for so I say go for the McMillan. 

McMillan stocks are for precision, not something I usually think of in terms of slug guns. 

Perhaps, if you were hunting at longer distances, 600ya+, I would recommend one, but again, not for the slug gun.

All that said, McMillan makes a great stock so why not?  You only live once and if slug-guns are your game, why not have the best?

Personally, I would go with a Boyd's stock, something like the Prairie Hunter if available.  They are probably the best bang for the buck when it comes to hunting stocks.

I like the looks of the thum-hole stock and bought one for my 700, thinking it was ideal for stalking goats and deer.  In the end, I did not like it and purchased the Prairie Hunter, with which I am happy.  It does work at medium ranges just fine.

I doubt you'll notice any difference in accuracy or precision with a new stock.

I do not know if they carry any stocks for the 220, but Stocky's Stocks is worth a look.

6 hours ago, MGHunter66 said:

As long as the bedding is good and the action screws are torqued correctly accuracy should be the same or better

I'll know in a week or two. They said it would not ship until after the first of the year because of the holidays. 

As for the safety I thought about that but I tried another thumbhole and you can hold the pistol grip like a regular stock until your ready to fire and that would put the safety under your thumb.