IGNORED

NJ Trout Fly Fishing Essentials

BowhunterNJ

You need to match the hatch right? It all depends on the species available and the type water you fish. It’s not one size fits all. 
Why don’t you start tying and learn some basic flies? It’s not hard and the best way to stay on top of hatches (and their various stages) is through tying imo. Otherwise you’ll go through lots of money and leave lots of catchable fish uncaught.
wow this is an old thread. No way to delete. Sorry guys

It’s all good. Going back, Matt who is our site owner had fly fished the Musky with us one day and had lost all his flies in the trees on his backcasts. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 4/5/2019 at 3:59 PM, MGHunter66 said:

I will give up one of my secrets since some newbies here are going to take a try at fly fishing. Stockies love attractors, this will GUARANTEE you fish

4AB1E386-FDA0-47EF-A718-502879015710.thumb.jpeg.6bf2ffbbed514718f0ba2c6189d31ddc.jpeg

That's not your secret fly, that's Lance Egan's secret fly.  :)   The venerable rainbow warrior.  

6 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

That's not your secret fly, that's Lance Egan's secret fly.  :)   The venerable rainbow warrior.  

I meant my secret as to what NJ stockies will jump all over. :P And my variation of Lances original is the red pheasant tail instead of using natural. I have browsed many NJ and NY guys fly boxes and never saw anyone having the Warrior. It is also a tremendous  great lakes tribs steelhead/ brown trout fly :)

AWM

15 minutes ago, MGHunter66 said:

I meant my secret as to what NJ stockies will jump all over. :P And my variation of Lances original is the red pheasant tail instead of using natural. I have browsed many NJ and NY guys fly boxes and never saw anyone having the Warrior. It is also a tremendous  great lakes tribs steelhead/ brown trout fly :)

I see it as one of my staple flies.  Super fast to tie and highly effective at catching trout.  Here in NJ, we substitute the silver tungsten bead for a pearlescent white, plastic bead and fish it as the trailing fly.  I tie them in sizes 12 - 20.  Many anglers that don't tie think the "Rainbow Warrior" is just good at catching rainbow trout, but it is the rainbow dubbing at the thorax that gives the fly that name.  Works on brookies, cutthroat, browns and bows alike.  :) 

Shannon's Fly Shop has a tough time keeping that fly in stock, and several guides tie them for the shop in their spare time to try to keep up with demand.  I typically fish it behind a beadhead PT or Prince or the like.  Deadly when they want a bit of flash.  I stick with the bright red thread myself.  

1 hour ago, Bucksnbows said:

I see it as one of my staple flies.  Super fast to tie and highly effective at catching trout.  Here in NJ, we substitute the silver tungsten bead for a pearlescent white, plastic bead and fish it as the trailing fly.  I tie them in sizes 12 - 20.  Many anglers that don't tie think the "Rainbow Warrior" is just good at catching rainbow trout, but it is the rainbow dubbing at the thorax that gives the fly that name.  Works on brookies, cutthroat, browns and bows alike.  :) 

Shannon's Fly Shop has a tough time keeping that fly in stock, and several guides tie them for the shop in their spare time to try to keep up with demand.  I typically fish it behind a beadhead PT or Prince or the like.  Deadly when they want a bit of flash.  I stick with the bright red thread myself.  

I simply love the fly. Especially when starting newbies out. I also use it as a trailer, behind a natural pattern usually. It works great behind egg flies too. I am surprised Shannons has to tie so many, i never see one in another guys box. I guess in a way that’s good for me LOL

AWM

Went out today for the first time. Musky is down and clear, caddis all over the place, thought I should probably go down to 6x, fish something natural. Yeah right. Second fish had this orange rubber worm hanging out of his vent.

So I went to combo that I fish just about all the time anymore. Sucker spawn with a beadhead dropper. Color and sizes are not really that important sometimes 

20190408_155733.jpg

20190408_155716.jpg

without me, my rifle is nothing