IGNORED

NJ Trout Fly Fishing Essentials

BowhunterNJ

Time to reload my boxes since I don't tie!

What are some of your favorite and must have flies in the box for spring time fly fishing for trout here in NJ?

Where do you like to get your flies from?

Any other gear you "must have"?

I saw the tippet rings a few guys from RVTU were using this weekend and really liked them, so I'll be ordering up some of those too! :up:

tippetrings.jpeg

Flies (in no particular order):

• Green caddis larva
  • tan caddis larva
  • pheasant tail nymphs in both bead and non-bead, flashback and no flashback in sizes 22 up to 10
  • Musky shrimp (scud pattern that doubles as a tan caddis larva)
  • rusty spinners in sizes 20 up to 10 (one of my go-to flies once mayflies are on the water and the name I go by on FFing forums for that reason).  I am well known for teaching this fly to others to help them catch a LOT more fish when conditions are tough or late in the day when the hatches are ending, but trout are sipping spinners.
  • Hendrickson mayfly duns (sizes 12 and 14 in parachute, snowshoe foot, Comparadun and traditional Catskills style with full hackle for pocket water)
  • BWOs (blue winged olives in sizes 24 up to 12 for the big Cornutas tied mostly in parachute style)
  • sulphurs in sizes 14, 16 and 18 tied in emerger and dun patterns with duns tied parachute style and Comparadun style
  • Quill Gordon mayfly in sizes 12 and 10 tied parachute style
  • Elk Hair Caddis (or Caribou hair) in various colors and sizes (too many to list, but sizes 18 up to 12 and in tan, gray, cinnamon, and black along with others
  • LaFontaine sparkle pupa in green, gray, tan and white in sizes 18 up to 14
  • eggs of various colors
  • Green weenies in sizes 14 and 16
  • Prince nymphs in sizes 18 up to 12
  • Isonychia (Iso) parachutes and Comparaduns and rusty spinners tied in claret color to mimic their spinners in sizes 10 and 12 (and some in 14 for NJ waters)
  • Green drakes (for my Catskills trips including the coffin fly which is their white bodied spinner with a black thorax)
  • Brown drakes for the Catskills
  • White flies
  • Hare's ear nymphs in sizes 18 up to 10, with and without bead heads
  • Pumpkin head nymphs
  • various "hot spot" nymphs (because sometimes they want bright colors)
  • Rainbow warriors in sizes 20 up to 16s (one of my most deadly go-to flies)
  • Woolly buggers in black, olive and brown (a few in white also) in sizes 10 up to 4s, with and without beads
  • D.R.O.T.H. streamers (my own creation which means Dead Rabbit On The Hook).  I tie these on 6X long size 4 and 6 hooks with a lot of lead wraps to get them down.  Mainly black and for big browns against the banks in high water.
  • RS2s
  • muddler minnows
  • San Juan worms
  • grasshoppers
  • crickets
  • ants
  • beetles
  • sucker spawn
  • various midges in gray, olive, red and red/orange (Chimarra caddis) as well as black and in various patterns like zebra midge style, Walt's worm, etc.

I'm sure I'm leaving out at least half of my flies, but these are the ones that jump to mind.  I tie most of my own as well as my saltwater patterns.  What I don't tie, I grab from the shop except for certain Hendricksons and most of my BWO parachutes that I buy from Dennis at Catskill Flies in Roscoe, NY.  He ties the best BWOs out there, IMO. 

New site member Fredy (from RVTU) showing me his setup this weekend.

Basically it's used to attach tippet to your leader. This way as your tippet dwindles, you can retie right to the tippet ring and it doesn't affect the length of your leader.

Thing of it like a swivel really, in fact I was reading last night where the super small Spro swivels are often used in the saltwater world.

The tippet rings are small enough to pass through guides just fine, and Fredy was even saying they can be used when dry fly fishing, with a little grease, they'll float on the surface film.

Plus, the tippet ring serves as an easy way to fish two nymphs...just tie one a few inches off the ring, and the other main tippet 18-24 inches :up:

Little size comparison...

Black%20Nickel%20Tippet%20Rings%20Master

And don't think this diagram is really a relative setup for NJ fishing (in terms of line types/weights/lengths), but it's a nice sketch of a triple nymph setup:

Truckee+River+Nymph+Rigg+2.jpg

Being a dry fly guy, I've stayed away from tippet rings myself, but I can see a benefit for nymph fishing especially.  Given that so many of my clients are relative newbies and often break off on the bottom, on big fish or on tree branches (none of which has ever happened to me personally, of course :) ), I might have to use them on nymph rigs in the future.  But I like my dry fly leaders a particular way and I'm stuck on those ways, so I doubt you'd ever see me try them for dries.  I worry about them not turning over small dry flies at long distances like when there is a BWO hatch of small baetis on the upper Delaware and you need to make that 75 cast just perfectly and have the fly turn over to get to that sipping riser on the far bank without getting any drag on the leader or tippet.  Here in NJ, I'm sure it is far less an issue given the relative width of our trout streams.  

• 4 years later...
On 4/14/2014 at 2:21 PM, Bucksnbows said:

• Green caddis larva
  • tan caddis larva
  • pheasant tail nymphs in both bead and non-bead, flashback and no flashback in sizes 22 up to 10
  • rusty spinners in sizes 20 up to 10 (one of my go-to flies once mayflies are on the water and the name I go by on FFing forums for that reason).  I am well known for teaching this fly to others to help them catch a LOT more fish when conditions are tough or late in the day when the hatches are ending, but trout are sipping spinners.
  • Hendrickson mayfly duns (sizes 12 and 14 in parachute, snowshoe foot, Comparadun and traditional Catskills style with full hackle for pocket water)
  • BWOs (blue winged olives in sizes 24 up to 12 for the big Cornutas tied mostly in parachute style)
  • sulphurs in sizes 14, 16 and 18 tied in emerger and dun patterns with duns tied parachute style and Comparadun style
  • Elk Hair Caddis (or Caribou hair) in various colors and sizes (too many to list, but sizes 18 up to 12 and in tan, gray, cinnamon, and black along with others
  • eggs of various colors
  • Isonychia (Iso) parachutes and Comparaduns and rusty spinners tied in claret color to mimic their spinners in sizes 10 and 12 (and some in 14 for NJ waters)
  • Green drakes (for my Catskills trips including the coffin fly which is their white bodied spinner with a black thorax)
  • White flies
  • Pumpkin head nymphs
  • Woolly buggers in black, olive and brown (a few in white also) in sizes 10 up to 4s, with and without beads
  • D.R.O.T.H. streamers (my own creation which means Dead Rabbit On The Hook).  I tie these on 6X long size 4 and 6 hooks with a lot of lead wraps to get them down.  Mainly black and for big browns against the banks in high water.
  • RS2s
  • muddler minnows
  • San Juan worms
  • grasshoppers
  • crickets
  • ants
  • beetles
  • sucker spawn
  • various midges in gray, olive, red and red/orange (Chimarra caddis) as well as black and in various patterns like zebra midge style, Walt's worm, etc.

I'm sure I'm leaving out at least half of my flies, but these are the ones that jump to mind.  I tie most of my own as well as my saltwater patterns.  What I don't tie, I grab from the shop except for certain Hendricksons and most of my BWO parachutes that I buy from Dennis at Catskill Flies in Roscoe, NY.  He ties the best BWOs out there, IMO. 

That's all you got in your box?  Rookie.  :shakehead:

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2014 at 2:21 PM, Bucksnbows said:

• Green caddis larva
  • tan caddis larva
  • eggs of various colors
  • White flies
  • Pumpkin head nymphs
  • RS2s
  • muddler minnows
  • San Juan worms
  • grasshoppers
  • crickets
  • ants
  • beetles
  • sucker spawn

Although this post is years old, I have seen bucksnbows in action on the stream. Yes, ALL of the flies listed above are on his person as he walks down to the stream. (or at least looks like it) If he went down, I would do my best to save his gear. Sorry Brian.. :rofl:

He has more gear, boxes, reels, line, surgeon's tools, glasses, than a S.W.A.T. officer making entry into a house. Everything that is needed is at arms length, and this guy can catch fish, like nmc02 with fly gear.....

I prefer nymphing....cause I suck I dry fishing and more fish are caught on nymphs than anything else. I use pretty much three nymphs. Copper john,pheasant tail, and hares ear.

Same here, i nymph and swing wets. Same thing i do upstate NY just with lighter tackle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AWM

43 minutes ago, maximus66 said:

Same here, i nymph and swing wets. Same thing i do upstate NY just with lighter tackle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Up north use mostly micro stone flies. When they are hitting them....use salmon river gift fly....look it up