IGNORED

Ho ho holy f#*#ing merry Christmas to me, $400 for garage torsion spring repair. ***UPDATE***

Bonefreak

9 hours ago, 06roadking said:

I have 3 doors at my shop with torsion springs. They are up and down all day and have the same springs that were put on 15 years ago when I got the doors. The trick to making them last is once a year you have to oil the entire spring. You will be amazed how much better they work and how much quieter they are. I made my own tools to adjust them out of some 8 inch log 1/2 inch bolts. The trick to being safe is to use bolts long enough that they hit the ceiling or the outside wall if they are turned all the way around. That way if it gets away from you it will only go a short distance then stop. I adjust mine whenever they need it with no problems. If you push the door up past the spring and hold it up with a 2x4, there is zero tension on it and it’s very safe. Never, ever fool with them with the door down.

What would this to to residential wall or ceiling?:shock:

8 minutes ago, WVAhunter08 said:

$400 to fix your garage door and you’re complaining about it?? I mean between paying for parts, labor, gas, insurance and overhead how much do you think a legit business is actually Going to make on that repair? 

It all depends on many factors. If the spring costs 2 dollars and it takes 10 minutes to do it then it is expensive from what it is really worth perspective

However expensive, cheap and affordable To the buyer are all function of what it feels like to him, not to the seller :happywave:

1 hour ago, WVAhunter08 said:

$400 to fix your garage door and you’re complaining about it?? I mean between paying for parts, labor, gas, insurance and overhead how much do you think a legit business is actually Going to make on that repair? 

Parts are $35.....time involved is about an hour....so I reasonably was expecting around $200.....they probably get the parts for around $25.....so $175/hr is damn good money....even if you pay out $75 of it in overhead....guy still makes $100/hr....but this is NJ and everyone rips you off....average cost I saw throughout the country was $300.....my bro found a guy who said $300.....so 1 guy out of 6 was reasonable. 

2 hours ago, Lunatic said:

What would this to to residential wall or ceiling?:shock:

If you put the door all the way up past the spring so you can actually work on it from the bottom of the door, there is really very little to no tension on it at that point. You have to push the door up past where it wants to stop normally until you can see the torsion spring up from the bottom and prop it with a 2x4. There is do little tension on it at that point that there would be very little to no damage if it slipped which, with that little tension would be improbable. If you fool with them things with the door down, you are risking your life or at least some digits!

• 4 weeks later...