IGNORED

Your Method of Installing a Ladder Stand

archer36

I've tried various techniques. The latest is cinching the top ratchet strap fairly tight (as you raise it, the tree diameter gets smaller), push the sections up, attach additional sections (requires two people), when all sections are installed, put up mid ladder support and fasten. Climb up and tighten up ratchet at seat level. The scary part is the climbing up to tighten the ratchet. Even though it really can't fall away from the tree, it's nerve wracking.

My next trick in addition to this is attaching a small winch to the tree and ratcheting it tight instead of just using the support.

What's your system? 

Thanks. 

7 minutes ago, Tarhunt said:

I carry a telescoping ladder from work and when I put the ladder stand up against the tree, I then use the ladder to tighten the strap against the tree and then secure the rest of the stand. 

That sounds like a safe method if you had such a ladder and wanted to carry it into the woods. Thanks!

5 minutes ago, archer36 said:

That sounds like a safe method if you had such a ladder and wanted to carry it into the woods. Thanks!

It works great and the ladder only weighs 25 pounds. I had it for over 20 years. 

"The Nation Which Forgets Its Defenders, Will Itself Be Forgotten".

Mines pretty simple and works well. Set ladder feet 3” into ground, stand ladder against tree. Put stabilizer against tree, put rachet strap a rung above stabilizer and cinch tight. Climb up and attach upper strap already attached to stand. Putting the rachet a rung above the stabilzer makes the stand a lot sturdier as you climb up to do the upper strap, you can adjust it to be in line with the stabilizer when your done up top and climb back down. Very easy and never need two people

AWM

4 minutes ago, MGHunter66 said:

Mines pretty simple and works well. Set ladder feet 3” into ground, stand ladder against tree. Put stabilizer against tree, put rachet strap a rung above stabilizer and cinch tight. Climb up and attach upper strap already attached to stand. Putting the rachet a rung above the stabilzer makes the stand a lot sturdier as you climb up to do the upper strap, you can adjust it to be in line with the stabilizer when your done up top and climb back down. Very easy and never need two people

Good. My idea of using a small winch to hold the ladder tightly against the tree is the same concept. Maybe i'll try it before buying. 

Put base of ladder against tree.   Walk out to seat section, lift it up, and get under it.  Walk towards the tree moving your hands up the ladder as you go, until it is up.  Attach those long straps to the top first, so you can secure the ladder to the tree before you climb up and put your ratchet strap on.

Edited by Nomad

If its a decent tree without a lot of branches, etc and if someone is helping me I use my climber to come up the back side to  strap the top part down so I dont have to climb the front and be so far away from the tree without having contact. Then work my way down and attach the support bar if needed farther up

Edited by Silver Belly62

Buy 2 long ratchet straps , that have loop ends,

They hang from the treestand top wedge.

stand up stand against tree, and install mid tree support

x the long ratchet straps  behind the tree, and attach mid ladder and ratchet them evenly.

stand cant move, climb up and attach the top strap then.

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

17 minutes ago, Silver Belly62 said:

If its a decent tree without a lot of branches, etc and if someone is helping me I use my climber to come up the back side to  strap the top part down so I dont have to climb the front and be so far away from the tree without having contact. Then work my way down and attach the support bar if needed farther up

I do the same thing. Use my climber up the backside to strap the top section. Climb back down then add the safety bar. Go up the ladder and I always add a second ratchet strap. 

I put all the sections together. I add all the ropes,ratchet strap,stabilizer bar. I walk it up against the tree and when i have right angle i sink bottom of ladder into the ground. Next i secure stabilizer bar and tie it off. Then i use the two ropes and secure it to ladder stand. Then i vlimb up and ratchet it tight.