Cold Weather Pheasant Hunting

ElevatedHunter

Do any of you guys worry about running your dog in bitter temps with snow still on the ground? Was really wanting to go out tomorrow morning, but I just cant bring myself to run June. She already HATES the cold and she gets the shiver shakes when its mid 20's. Plus she lifts paws all day to keep them off the snow.

Do you guys run boots on your dogs in temps like these or do you just go for it? I know every dog is different and everyone knows their dog and limitations. Personally I feel like June will be uncomfortable whether she wants to be out there or not. 

3 minutes ago, RPK0620 said:

We will be out tomorrow and my GSP doesn't seem to mind it but I will be keeping a real good eye on her and seeing that she stays hydrated.

She got fed real good tonight and her feet are tough as I have her out about 3 times a week all year and she does wear a light vest that covers her sides and belly.

Yeah my GSP wears an orange ( very thin) neoprene vest. I have a thin sweater for her that would fit under the vest. I just worry about her paws

If her paws are not tough then just keep an eye on them and periodically check them.

I always wipe my dog down after every hunt using an old white bath towel to be able to check for any blood from a cut that may not be visible, and I lift and wipe each paw on the bottom when doing so and visually inspect them.

12 hours ago, ElevatedHunter said:

Do any of you guys worry about running your dog in bitter temps with snow still on the ground? Was really wanting to go out tomorrow morning, but I just cant bring myself to run June. She already HATES the cold and she gets the shiver shakes when its mid 20's. Plus she lifts paws all day to keep them off the snow.

Do you guys run boots on your dogs in temps like these or do you just go for it? I know every dog is different and everyone knows their dog and limitations. Personally I feel like June will be uncomfortable whether she wants to be out there or not. 

Sounds like you  need to work your dog more.  dogs are like athletes and need to be conditioned.  And as long as there are birds in play I'm sure your dog won't pay no mind to the weather. I do sometimes use neopren vests my dogs always seem to find open water  and the neoprene helps hold the heat in

On 12/21/2019 at 8:24 AM, smittty said:

Sounds like you  need to work your dog more.  dogs are like athletes and need to be conditioned.  And as long as there are birds in play I'm sure your dog won't pay no mind to the weather. I do sometimes use neopren vests my dogs always seem to find open water  and the neoprene helps hold the heat in

My dog has arthritis in all 4 legs already. I work her as much as I can, but bitter cold weather and running for extended periods of time leave her in discomfort the rest of the day and into the next morning. 

I bird hunt for fun and to watch my dog work and enjoy being outdoors. Not to run her into the ground just to shoot a 12$ pheasant. She doesn't ever pay any mind to any weather condition when she is hunting. She becomes a machine, but I look out for her after the fact because I know her and I know how she will be once we get home. 

Yes she is on fish oil, supplements, and adequan. She is also on a purina joint food.

6 minutes ago, ElevatedHunter said:

My dog has arthritis in all 4 legs already. I work her as much as I can, but bitter cold weather and running for extended periods of time leave her in discomfort the rest of the day and into the next morning. 

I bird hunt for fun and to watch my dog work and enjoy being outdoors. Not to run her into the ground just to shoot a 12$ pheasant. She doesn't ever pay any mind to any weather condition when she is hunting. She becomes a machine, but I look out for her after the fact because I know her and I know how she will be once we get home. 

Yes she is on fish oil, supplements, and adequan. She is also on a purina joint food.

I got a 14 year old setter which bad hips vet told me to try cbd oil seems to help a lot better then anything else we tried 

20ml oil daily it was taken him two or three try's to get up in the morning now after a month he is getting up first try a bit slow but he is 14 and I just drop it in his mouth it don't bother him none. Talk to you vet I am surprised he didn't mention it my vet is convinced it works I tried it for my knee 's I also am an old man with bad knees but it did nothing for me

1 hour ago, smittty said:

20ml oil daily it was taken him two or three try's to get up in the morning now after a month he is getting up first try a bit slow but he is 14 and I just drop it in his mouth it don't bother him none. Talk to you vet I am surprised he didn't mention it my vet is convinced it works I tried it for my knee 's I also am an old man with bad knees but it did nothing for me

My wife works for a vet and she has mentioned it in the past but since shes only 4 she said the supplements and fish oil should be fine for now. She doesn't have any issue getting around, just after a long day of running around she is slow the next day.

I think that’s somewhat normal to be slow the next day, I have 2 Gsp one recovers in a couple hours the other takes the entire next day as well. Like a weight lifter don’t work out the same muscle for 36 hours. And like mentioned above the more you work and condition your dog the longer they will be able to go in the field and faster they will recover.

6 minutes ago, Bones said:

I think that’s somewhat normal to be slow the next day, I have 2 Gsp one recovers in a couple hours the other takes the entire next day as well. Like a weight lifter don’t work out the same muscle for 36 hours. And like mentioned above the more you work and condition your dog the longer they will be able to go in the field and faster they will recover.

Yeah, she finally learned to love to swim this past summer. Now I live on a lake so I am definitely going to have her out there swimming as much as possible this year.

For paws there use to be a lotion/wax called mushers  secret,  the stuff would toughen up the pads.

I used it on my beagles when hunting on a hard crust snow.  Never had a issue. 

Never used a vest on the hounds, they where well fed, would run/hunt all day in the cold.  Key factors where to make sure the dog crate in truck was out of the wind if they where riding in open truck bed, a cold wind wouldn't be good, and when they got home a nice bowl for food with water added to it for proper hydration,  then a nice doghouse full of hay,cedar savings and when temps get real low I plug in the "hound heater "  will hold a nice 55 degree  temp for them

20 minutes ago, Dominant buck said:

For paws there use to be a lotion/wax called mushers  secret,  the stuff would toughen up the pads.

I used it on my beagles when hunting on a hard crust snow.  Never had a issue. 

Never used a vest on the hounds, they where well fed, would run/hunt all day in the cold.  Key factors where to make sure the dog crate in truck was out of the wind if they where riding in open truck bed, a cold wind wouldn't be good, and when they got home a nice bowl for food with water added to it for proper hydration,  then a nice doghouse full of hay,cedar savings and when temps get real low I plug in the "hound heater "  will hold a nice 55 degree  temp for them

My GSP rides in the truck, now on cold days with a heated blanket that my wife got her :rolleyes: then she comes home gets fed good with some fresh water and then she goes in our bedroom where her bed with a lid is that she crawls under and passes out in :laughing: