IGNORED

Best choke for buckshot

Bones

I have that LimbSaver recoil pad on my 835. It helps some.  Just don't stand the gun in the corner on a carpet. The polymer in the recoil pad reacts with the carpet fiber and sticks to it. I have a mark on my living room carpet for years that will not come out.

Before specialty aftermarket chokes were available, I shot lots of deer with factory full chokes in my Remington's and Beretta's. As long as I used "premium" copper plated shot. Used Federals and Winchesters mostly in 3". 

I bought a Patternmaster about 20 years ago. I used this exclusively for many years with buckshot, large steel shot, and turkey loads. Now there are even more "specialty" chokes than ever. The Patternmaster choke is really not a "choke". It has no constriction. It has internal studs that retain the wad/plastic sleeve covering the shot. That's why it's most effective with Federal Premium ammo. Others do not have it. It supposed to reduce shot strings and pattern distortion. Is it worth about $100? Maybe not anymore. 

34 minutes ago, archer36 said:

Before specialty aftermarket chokes were available, I shot lots of deer with factory full chokes in my Remington's and Beretta's. As long as I used "premium" copper plated shot. Used Federals and Winchesters mostly in 3". 

I bought a Patternmaster about 20 years ago. I used this exclusively for many years with buckshot, large steel shot, and turkey loads. Now there are even more "specialty" chokes than ever. The Patternmaster choke is really not a "choke". It has no constriction. It has internal studs that retain the wad/plastic sleeve covering the shot. That's why it's most effective with Federal Premium ammo. Others do not have it. It supposed to reduce shot strings and pattern distortion. Is it worth about $100? Maybe not anymore. 

It actually does have a light modified constriction, but you are spot on with the studs that release the shot cleanly for short compact shot string. I rarely use buckshot anymore but still do believe the patternmaster is worth every penny for those the use buckshot and large steel for goose

Edited by MGHunter66

AWM

call Nitro Ammo, they will tell you which choke and buy a box of ammo from them. I tried n less than 6 chokes and four different kinds of factory ammo.

I was ready to sell my SP10 and even posted here. After dealing with Nitro ammo it is no longer for sale.

I must have spent several hundred dollars trying crap! it was worth every penny to pay Nitro Ammo

No I do not work for them or no anyone that does LOL

1 hour ago, Slayer1962 said:

call Nitro Ammo, they will tell you which choke and buy a box of ammo from them. I tried n less than 6 chokes and four different kinds of factory ammo.

I was ready to sell my SP10 and even posted here. After dealing with Nitro ammo it is no longer for sale.

I must have spent several hundred dollars trying crap! it was worth every penny to pay Nitro Ammo

No I do not work for them or no anyone that does LOL

I spent way more on my SBE2, eventually had to go with nitro for my turkey loads.  Using Federal Premium buckshot that is good but not great.  Using hevishot for predators and that's pretty good but not great either. 

My browning gold, with a patternmaster big game tube. shot rem 3.5 00 the best.
My franchi, with a carlson bs tube shoots 3.5 Winchester supreme 15 pellet copper 00s basketball size pattern at 40 yards

My advice is buy a tube, buy 1 box of each brand of buckshot and head to the range and start shooting.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

On 12/18/2019 at 6:25 PM, Booner said:

Want a shotgun that shoots buckshot like a rifle?? It's not made anymore though. My buddies and I have them. All the guns pattern 00 or 000 incredibly. 

It's the Browning B2000 12ga,3" with a 30" special steel barrel. 

They didn't make many, has a unorthodox side magazine loading port. That's why it was a popular gun. I think it's neat. 

Obviously used only now, but if you look around,you can find them. Look at Kiddery Trading post in Maine. They have them from time to time. 

You can grab them for $275-375 which is cheap. GunBroker has them but a little high price wise. 

But I'm telling you,hands down the best buckshot gun I've ever seen. 

I have a bunch of nitro ammo and choke combo's for a few different guns. But if in need a scatter gun for deer,, it's the B2000

Checked the gun. It's a 28" modified barrel and only shoots 2.75" shells. Sorry. 

• BowhunterNJ changed the title to Best choke for buckshot