IGNORED

Best choke for buckshot

Bones

I'll throw my 2 cents in, I have a newer 3.5 beretta that wouldn't shoot anything but #4 buck with any of the factory chokes. bought a trulock boar blaster and the results were great. at 50 yards had 15 out of 18 pellets in a 20" circle with Remington 3.5" 00. the Remington 3" was also good 12 of 15 in a 20" circle at 50. #4 winchester 3.5 was equally nasty over 40 of 54 pellets in the 20" circle. tried various other brands and sizes with decent results but the above mentioned were the best. gotta spend time and money at the range

16 minutes ago, paposse48 said:

I'll throw my 2 cents in, I have a newer 3.5 beretta that wouldn't shoot anything but #4 buck with any of the factory chokes. bought a trulock boar blaster and the results were great. at 50 yards had 15 out of 18 pellets in a 20" circle with Remington 3.5" 00. the Remington 3" was also good 12 of 15 in a 20" circle at 50. #4 winchester 3.5 was equally nasty over 40 of 54 pellets in the 20" circle. tried various other brands and sizes with decent results but the above mentioned were the best. gotta spend time and money at the range

The Trulock Boar Blaster has a .700 constriction and that seems to be the magic number for buckshot. I have a Remington "Boar" extended ported choke that was sold by Remington but no longer available that shoots great patterns. It has .700 constriction. 

So, these Patternmaster chokes really make a significant difference? I always kinda assumed it was a gimmick. I should have gave it a try.

I bruised my shoulder spending a weekend at the pattern board with a 3.5" pump gun. Its been years, but I believe my best longer patterns were with Federal Premium OO in my stock Browning MOD choke.

Just now, Jim_ said:

So, these Patternmaster chokes really make a significant difference? I always kinda assumed it was a gimmick. I should have gave it a try.

I bruised my shoulder spending a weekend at the pattern board with a 3.5" pump gun. Its been years, but I believe my best longer patterns were with Federal Premium OO in my stock Browning MOD choke.

3.5" in a Pump gun....OUCH. If you are shooting a Browning, good patterns can be had with a factory full choke. 

14 minutes ago, archer36 said:

3.5" in a Pump gun....OUCH. If you are shooting a Browning, good patterns can be had with a factory full choke. 

Agree.  Most brutal gun I ever fired was a synthetic stock 3 1/2" 12 ga with 3 1/2" buckshot. I wouldn't do it again for $100 bill. Lol.  I don't even shoot the 3 1/2" turkey loads anymore.  Lol. 

2 minutes ago, Swamprat said:

Agree.  Most brutal gun I ever fired was a synthetic stock 3 1/2" 12 ga with 3 1/2" buckshot. I wouldn't do it again for $100 bill. Lol.  I don't even shoot the 3 1/2" turkey loads anymore.  Lol. 

I have a 3.5" auto and patterning it is brutal. Actual shooting is not that noticeable. 

2.25 ounce turkey loads are the hardest recoiling.