IGNORED

Best choke for buckshot

Bones

Does anyone have or use one of those choke tubes specifically made for buckshot? Carlson makes one kicks also makes one.

I haven’t used buckshot in a long time but I recently have been doing small pushes with a couple guys my 870 seems to scatter pretty good, I tried Winchester, Remington and federal ammo. Federal shot the best but not much better. I don’t want to buy another gun just for the two days a year I do drives so a new choke tube is what I’m looking to do.

I should add that when using a pattermaster you need a load that has a full shotcup type wad. When using a load that doesn’t utilize a shotcup longer tapered tubes like the Kicks are good. I handload but have heard very good things about the Federal load that uses their Flitecontrol Wad out of standard more open chokes like modified and light modified. 

AWM

I use 3.5 Remington 00s with carlson buckshot tube with great results..  I know someone on hear that uses winchester hi velocity 00s 3.5 with great results as well..  pattern your gun with different chokes..  my rem 1187 loves winchester 3 inch with factory full..  as said every gun is different

Before you start experimenting with aftermarket chokes, try Winchester's 12 GA, 3" XX High Velocity load. The catalog # is SB12300. This load has 12 copper plated OO buck pellets and a muzzle velocity of 1450 fps. This round throws very tight patterns in my Browning Auto-5 as well as Rem 870 & 11-87 with a standard Invector and Rem-choke full chokes. Most 3" 12 GA OO Buckshot loads have 15 pellets which have to be force through the tighter choke causing pellet deformation and thus poorer patterns. By taking out a few pellets, this load tightens patterns considerably. The increased velocity of this load hits noticeably harder than standard fare. I have taken deer with this load out to 60 yards that have dropped on the spot consistently. 

13 minutes ago, swamprat142 said:

When i used buckshot, No4 buck dropped them in their tracks. Why the hell would anyone use 00  or 000 is beyond me.

Or 3 1/2" ?? F that. Killed a boat load of deer with. 2 3/4" and 3".  3" is fine but for the 1-2 on average pellets ( 00 - 000) not worth it. 

Pattern the gun in the off season. Like mentioned above, Mr BowhunterNJ, has it right. Nitro company!!

Edited by Booner

LET EM GO SO HE CAN GROW

Before buying chokes try different ammo. In my experience the copper plated buffered shot has patterned better.  Winchester supreme and federal mag shok has done well. Also recommend smaller shot. If I could only have one buckshot it would be #1.

I'm off the next couple days. When I get home in an hour or so I'll see what I have. Can meet up, more than welcome to try em.  I'll text ya later. 

Nick