IGNORED

Angler upset over photo showing him with foul-hooked fish

BowhunterNJ

I know Dennis and he's a great guy.  It says a lot about him that he wanted to set the record straight.  Last August we restored the river channel across from his home and he was out every day picking up trash left by slob anglers and others.  I know he's a C&R trout angler as well.  But I'm still going to bust his chops the next time I see him  :) 

Funny story about meeting his wife for the first time.  The land across the road they live on belongs to another person, yet Dennis and his wife mow it and used to keep it cleared right to the river's banks which is bad for the river.  I rolled in one day in two school buses with 80 students from the local middle school to plant the banks with native trees and shrubs.  She and at least two other neighbors came out, freaking out that we would plant in front of their homes.  I had to explain that the land was not theirs even though they treated it as such, the benefits to the river, and that we had the full permission of the landowner to do so.  And all of this in front of 80 students (8th grade), their science teachers and school principal.  We got everything planted and caged and the neighbors ended up liking the end result within a year or two after the plantings.  The school principal had her students write a position paper on why some people want to cut down all vegetation to "see the pretty river" even though it destroys that same pretty river when they do cut down the trees versus why we should want to plant native vegetation.  

But I'll never forget how hot under the collar she and a few neighbors were when they fist saw us pull in to plant 600 trees and shrubs on those 5 acres.  And I learned to give a heads up in future situations as a result  :)