gonefishing

12/12/19 Thursday 6-day firearm Check in

All quiet in 18. Heard three shots like someone was shooting at a running deer. Then heard the drivers. Not sure if they connected or not. I am sure they are going to be hitting the woods i am in next. I think i will get up in ladder stand instead of ground blind.

• Agree 2

Wish I could find a buck! This morning I was running late and I went to a spot in zone 9 then with nothing to show I went over to my other spot in 6 and got to my stand and noticed someone shot a buck out of my stand ! Can’t catch a break man

Was an 8 but broke one tine was done by 8:15 
Many will question it but 82 yards with buckshot . I measured with range finder 3 times i knew it was a long shot but couldn't believe it .
Sp10 with custom choke and Nitro custom buckshot. Dropped stone dead. 
A few of you followed and helped with my quest to gather the components for a really good buckshot gun.
I bought the SP10 on the other site ( traded x bow) 
I spoke to several of you guys about getting my gun to pattern right.
I ended up with Nitro ammo , they told me what choke to buy and they loaded custom ammo. 
They guarantee a pellet count at 75 yards. ( i forget the number in kill zone)
I actually bought a box of 00 and a box of 000. I patterned at 50 then 75 yards and choose the 000 buck
It consistently put 4-6 pellets in a pie plate at 75 yards good enough for me. 
The deer was actually closer to my buddy but he never saw him. I lined up the shot and had a rest in the climber.
I put adjustable fiber optic sights on so I could center my pattern back in July . Could have been luck but it dropped like a rock and never got up .
I will ask the butcher for pictures after he skins it 

decdeer.jpg

• Like 18
  • Winner 2

1 hour ago, Slayer1962 said:

actually bought a box of 00 and a box of 000. I patterned at 50 then 75 yards and choose the 000 buck

Good buck... you got lucky. I would not make it a habit to shoot buckshot at that range. I have handloaded for years, one 000 pellet weighs 68grains. Even pushed at 1700fps it only carries 390ft/lbs of energy at the muzzle.  Not even close to what you strive for on deer dize game. Not putting you down... just think about what could’ve been the outcome and most likely will 99% of the time. This is coming from a guy that loves buckshot my friend. :happywave:

Edited by MGHunter66
  • Like 1