mikmaze

anyone remember the guys that built trail cameras from digi cams?

if so, it is a LONG sho, but wondering if any of them are still around?  Got a question and a challenge for them, build a tag on to any existing trail camera to make it a cellular one.    interface would be through the micro sd card slot, and hang on the side.   Many guys have multiple cameras, I have 7.   to trade them all in and get new cell cpable would be expensive, and be stuck to the specs of the cameras that I could afford.   I would rather keep the high quaity/ high mp cams I already own.   thoughts? anyone else be interested ?

Somehow you will have to set it up so your high definition pics are send to your cell as low definition pictures. Otherwise the pure size of them will overwhelm your cell service. 

• Agree 1

It's been a long time since I built them, but if you have home brew builds, you'd probably need to replace the control board or reprogram it if capable.  Also the control board to digital camera cables were specific to the camera model and I had to solder the wiring to them internally.

Basically the control board needs to work with the specific camera you're using and has to be wired to the camera.  Then all of that and batteries need to fit in a waterproof case with optical lenses and a PIR sensor film, and nowadays with an IR array. 

Ultimately it's not cost effective to rebuild my old cams if it were even possible.  Not to mention the memory card limitations on older cams.  

It also sounds like you're trying to piggyback the cellular functionality.  I never built the control boards so I'm not sure what's involved in creating an interface between the two.  

1 minute ago, BowhunterNJ said:

It also sounds like you're trying to piggyback the cellular functionality.  I never built the control boards so I'm not sure what's involved in creating an interface between the two.  

I went on you tube many years ago figuring I can do this:nerd:Yeah right.lol

wow, one month later and spypoint releases their version of MY idea!!!!!!!!!!

5 minutes ago, mikmaze said:

wow, one month later and spypoint releases their version of MY idea!!!!!!!!!!

I think the one big aspect to the Spypoint solution is that is requires a built in USB port and I'm also assuming they already know how the cam intercommunication works (or they have firmware that somehow overrides it).  The way I interpreted the video their release is they are bypassing the local cam storage and directly transmitting it from the actual cam to their add-on via USB.  I'm not sure if that's how cams natively work or Spypoint is doing that with their own firmware.  I can't recall if cameras from years ago have a compatible USB port, nor if they operate the same way as the trailcams of today.  Just more food for thought.

2 minutes ago, BowhunterNJ said:

I think the one big aspect to the Spypoint solution is that is requires a built in USB port and I'm also assuming they already know how the cam intercommunication works (or they have firmware that somehow overrides it).  The way I interpreted the video their release is they are bypassing the local cam storage and directly transmitting it from the actual cam to their add-on via USB.  I'm not sure if that's how cams natively work or Spypoint is doing that with their own firmware.  I can't recall if cameras from years ago have a compatible USB port, nor if they operate the same way as the trailcams of today.  Just more food for thought.

I would think external USB port would not be very common, but I don’t know 

1 minute ago, Lunatic said:

I would think external USB port would not be very common, but I don’t know 

That too. Many are proprietary ports and variants of micro USB ports. So minimally you'd have to have an adapter.  And that still doesn't account for how the camera operates with usb plugged in, ie does it somehow transmit the photo to usb (push) or does the Spypoint device somehow do interval retrievals (pull).  It may not be complicated at all but you'd still need to be an electrical engineer to figure it out haha 

1 minute ago, BowhunterNJ said:

That too. Many are proprietary ports and variants of micro USB ports. So minimally you'd have to have an adapter.  And that still doesn't account for how the camera operates with usb plugged in, ie does it somehow transmit the photo to usb (push) or does the Spypoint device somehow do interval retrievals (pull).  It may not be complicated at all but you'd still need to be an electrical engineer to figure it out haha 

I am thinking external usb would not provide sealed connection on an outdoor unit.