IGNORED

Closed sporting goods stores?

TouchofGrey

When growing up I had 2 places local l&h in wall and bob kisslins..  kisslins was the biggest RIP off going but it was convenient..  l&h had a good selection.. now the only shop local to me is pine lands sport shop but he has a limited selection,  shooters on 539 but in my head if I'm going that far I'm going to bass pro another 20 mins..  I like the yearly trip to cabelas and pa bass pro occasionally take a ride to the wheeling wv cabelas to..

I remember trips to Harry's and Sportsmen Center with my dad as a kid.  Just fascinating to walk through and see all the hunting and fishing gear.  Great memories of the anticipation driving there.  

Vito how about Sportsman's Shanty off Jackson Mills in Freehold/Howell/Jackson area?  Closed now but I went in there a lot with my dad as a kid.  Always smelled like skunk.  Anytime I drive by a roadkill slunk I think of that shop...

56 minutes ago, Tarhunt said:

What was the name of the sporting goods store in Pequannock on the South bound  side of 23? 

Sportsmen's Den.  For me, it was Sportsmen's Den, Edelmans, Meltzers, and Paterson Rod & Gun growing up.  All gone, but now I have Simon Peter, Ramsey Outdoor, etc.  

I know we all like to think of the "good old days", but the reality is, most of you are not going to the same hardware stores, grocery stores, or anything else that you were in the 70s or 80s, etc.  Change is the only constant in our lives.....

I remember trips to Harry's and Sportsmen Center with my dad as a kid.  Just fascinating to walk through and see all the hunting and fishing gear.  Great memories of the anticipation driving there.  

Vito how about Sportsman's Shanty off Jackson Mills in Freehold/Howell/Jackson area?  Closed now but I went in there a lot with my dad as a kid.  Always smelled like skunk.  Anytime I drive by a roadkill slunk I think of that shop...
I remember getting my old cardboard licenses at Sportsman Shanty. My first shotgun came from Jackson Sporting Goods, my son just retired it a couple years ago.

I remember going to Sportsman Center for the jamborees every year. I even remember going to the game wardens office in the old farm house on Assunpink. Times have changed.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

i drove to rays sport shop alot when i got my drivers license. before that i use to ride my bike to efingers to spend allowance money on fishing gear.

i bought my first fly rod and reel from rays using money from my first real paycheck when i worked for a carpenter. it was a cortland 4 weight and orvis battenkill reel. i still use it today. 

also dont forget the millstone sport shop that was on the mistone river over by amwell road.

its a shame so many sport shops closed. they are all found memories of my childhood. another memory was my grandpa driving me to efingers to buy me worms and other gear. then he always took me to duke island park after to go fishing until i had no more worms left. everyday in the summer. its why i grew up to like fishing so much. 

My dad and all three of his sons (myself included) got their first guns from Meltzers. Always used to buy all of our guns, ammo, licenses, and clothing their when I was real young. If we didn’t get it their it came from Cabela’s mail order. 

also sad to see Dover sport closing, was really convenient since I work less than 5 minute away. 

5 hours ago, CJ3a said:

Paterson rod and gun with the original owners 

The original Paterson Rod and Gun on West Broadway in Paterson was awesome. The second location in Hawthorne also owned by the Salvatos was good as well. I think the Salvatos were also involved with the Bates outdoor store in North Haledon at the entrance to the college.

The one on market street was illegally using the PR&G name. They had a pretty nice indoor shooting range. 

Probably no one here besides me remembers Northwestern Sport Shop on Main st in South Paterson. I used to go there in the 1970's. It was a little hole in the wall store run by a real old guy named Pete Curry. He lived upstairs from the store. He kept the door locked. You had to ring the bell to get him to look out the upstairs window. If he knew you he would come down and open the door. You couldn't get out of there without hearing some of his stories about hunting and fishing in the 1940's and '50's.

Edited by 230jhp

Here's a list of a few others

Targeteers when it was a little hole in the wall store at the north east corner of the building it is in now    circa 1970's

Frank's Tackle in Ringwood when it was a little hole in the wall before it expanded and ultimately became Tackle &Field. I still refer to T&F as Franks Tackle.

Greenwood Lake Sports Center when it was a small store right on the lake. I don't recall the original owners name, it was a guy with blond hair. It was a good store until some guy named Leo bought it and it went downhill, He moved it to where the old A&W Rootbeer stand was. Then he lost the FFL for the store. It's still there, but I think it just does paintball now.

There was a place on Hamburg Turnpike in Riverdale that closed about ten years ago. I don't recall the name of the store. He had a drop off service for a deer butcher in the back of the store.

Here is one I think no one on here knows about that closed. Van's Sporting Goods. It was in Hamilton Township near Trenton on Nottingham Way next to the old State Fair Grounds. It was only open in the late 60s and early 70s. It was a small shop but it was good for basic stuff like licenses, shotgun shells and fishing supplies. Hunting and fishing was a lot different then so you didn't need all the stuff we believe we need now.