TouchofGrey

Closed sporting goods stores?

Some of my favorite memories of buying hunting gear are from now closed shops. I can vividly recall going to Ray's Sport shop the weekend before 6 Day. The sheer panic of guys buying guns, you knew were going to be fired on Monday morning for the first time was frightening! I'll add Ross Sports in Elizabeth, Effingers in Bound Brook. This was pre internet, or you used mail order. I won't be going out this week because of my trip but I'll be following you here. Good luck to all, shoot straight, and please be safe. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

That if shops closed do to cable's and bass pro now in pa . People drive all the way there to get something they could but local  .for less when you add in gas and time . For my self I haven't bought anything new for a long time  use old stuff. But as I need new stuff will be looking to shop local Simon Peter or Andover hunt and fish may be Ramsay 

Not much by me, I now buy most on line and once/year a take a ride to Cabela's 
I will not be out hunting until the rain/snow stops next week, maybe Wed.

This was a true old school outdoor store, family owned and run.....My father got me my first shotgun from them, and many other firearms came from there, I grew up about 2.5 miles from them

image.png.48c509e818828593b58208100f508f10.png

• Like 7
  • Agree 2

12 minutes ago, ithaca10 said:

What was the name of the shop in Fairfield on rt46 west bound lane.

Edelmans?

But, I think they were on east bound when they were in Fairfield. And then on the  west bound side when they moved down the highway to Wayne. Maybe I'm mixing it up?

Same one.  First were on the west bound side.  Then they moved onto the east bound side. I believe is the Fire Place Store since they closed.  The other store there prior was Morsans.

• Like 1

What was the name of the sporting goods store in Pequannock on the South bound  side of 23? 

1 hour ago, TouchofGrey said:

… I'll add Ross Sports in Elizabeth, ...

My father would take me there when I was a little kid back in the 60's on Saturday mornings, after my bicycle paper route, to buy fishing stuff. Would stop and get greasy burgers and fries at Wetson's  in Elizabeth (a now closed hamburger chain).

Then I started making the long drive to Sportsman Center in Bordentown. … quite a place back in the day.