supr78nova

Hunter orange on ground blind during firearms season

I was going to sit in my ground blind on Monday for the opening day of monsoon season. What are you guys using to mark the location of your blinds with hunter orange?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I walk in with a full orange vest and have a pole next to my blind a bit higher than the top of the bling that I hang it on for anyone who may be trespassing .

I hunt on my own land and are amazed at the foolish excuses I hear from trespassing poachers when I catch them just walking around in camo with a bow or muzzle loader and a climber. Always say they're going onto one of the adjoining properties which are acre lots with existing houses on them. I just ask if they would prefer we call a CO to discuss or if they would rather leave. They make the smart choice and leave peacefully - surprised that people who know they are on posted property feel it's ok as long as you don't get caught.  

• Winner 1

I use my orange boonie cap and hang on branch slightly higher than my blind

You're supposed to have orange visible from 360 degrees above your blind while hunting. 

• Agree 1
  • Winner 1

You're supposed to have orange visible from 360 degrees above your blind while hunting. 
Exactly, but my question is what is everyone using to accomplish this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, supr78nova said:

Exactly, but my question is what is everyone using to accomplish this?

One of those cheap orange vests works well.  

• Agree 4

I hang a cheap orange vest in a branch above my blind. I have also seen orange covers for the roof of blinds. 

This is copied from the digest.

All firearm and bow and arrow deer hunters utiliz-ing a ground blind when a bow and firearm deer season are concurrently open must display 200 square inches of hunter orange atop the blind and visible from all sides or within five feet outside the blind and higher than the blind or at least three feet off the ground, whichever is higher. During these concurrent seasons, bowhunters in tree stands also should consider wearing hunter orange.

Second the vest like Rusty said. At first I was annoyed when it was introduced but I can see the reasoning behind it. Especially if on Public Land. It could be worse,neon signs pointing to stand saying hunter here, red flashing lights on your orange hat, maybe tethered orange balloons. It could be much worse in NJ.:rofl:

• Like 1

Buy one of the 2 dollar hunter orange hats .

Attach it to the top loop at the top of the blind .

I just leave it there the rest of the season.

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, Greg said:

I use my orange boonie cap and hang on branch slightly higher than my blind

Doesn't it have to be 200 square inches

boonie is a wee bit larger than a ball cap that is 200 sq"

My blind is elevated on a platform 4 feet off the ground: however; my south jersey regional Conservation Police Officer advised me to display the required amount of blaze orange as per the digest instructions. It is only used for archery hunts even during the 6 day Shotgun Season.5-21-19b.thumb.JPG.b9400131f9e700b3f58e9b70c740262f.JPG 

Edited by tpr1921

Wrap a 20” long piece of orange surveyors ribbon on a limb or branch above your blind or atop of it. It’s cheap at like 3-4 bucks a roll at Home Depot. Why are all these guys taking a vest or hat and trying to prop that up above the blind?!  Yikes