IGNORED

Found a deer tick biting me!!

27 minutes ago, Rusty said:

You and me both.  I get at least a dozen ticks every year.   

Yep....pick dozens off me a year....and probably hundreds off the setter on the 45 minute ride home from assunpink each trip....so many that I keep a roll of double sided super sticky carpet tape in the console to trap em on!

I get bit a few times a yr by lone star or dog ticks.....but this is the first bite from a deer tick that has me a bit hinked up. Lol. Every twitch of pain or crack of the joints, I'm wondering if this is guna be it!!  Lol

9 minutes ago, Bonefreak said:

Yep....pick dozens off me a year....and probably hundreds off the setter on the 45 minute ride home from assunpink each trip....so many that I keep a roll of double sided super sticky carpet tape in the console to trap em on!

I get bit a few times a yr by lone star or dog ticks.....but this is the first bite from a deer tick that has me a bit hinked up. Lol. Every twitch of pain or crack of the joints, I'm wondering if this is guna be it!!  Lol

Do you use a spray? I went back for Past Posts on it but maybe guys could list what works for them. I need new stuff.

7 minutes ago, TouchofGrey said:

Do you use a spray? I went back for Past Posts on it but maybe guys could list what works for them. I need new stuff.

Started soaking my clothes in Permethrin last year per mazzgolf's research.....but cant seem to find my concentrated jug of it. 

Ken, had what I was told one of the first cases of the same type you had over a year and a half ago in Hunterdon Ct. NY Blood bank caught it on a screening after a donation.  Took part in a study with them to better screen blood donors.  After anti B’s, I was good to go but can never donate again.  

14 hours ago, Woodsman416 said:

I've had Lymes twice, I now keep doxi in the medicine cabinet at all times. This past year I was diagnosed with another tick borne illness, Babesiosis. No fun and could've had serious serious problems but was able to knock it out pretty easily with medication. The problem is they don't check for it in a regular Lymes screening.

My doctor said the same thing. The blood test for lyme disease shows a false negative quite often. There is a much more detailed test that is needed

14 hours ago, Bonefreak said:

My doc said she doesn't like giving meds if it isn't needed....but if symptoms develop, she has em pre ordered at pharmacist.  ...

That's exactly what your doctor is supposed to do.

The over-prescribing of antibiotics is a problem in this country … potentially creating antibiotic-resistant bacteria strains. But, antibiotics give patients peace of mind, and doctors know it and many unnecessarily prescribe them.

If you don't have any symptoms, the CDC recommends one single 200mg dose of doxycycline as a preventative, if all of these conditions are met ("I. scapularis tick" is deer tick) ...

1. Doxycycline is not contraindicated.

2. The attached tick can be identified as an adult or nymphal I. scapularis tick.

3. The estimated time of attachment is ≥36 h based on the degree of tick engorgement with blood or likely time of exposure to the tick.

4. Prophylaxis can be started within 72 h of tick removal.

5. Lyme disease is common in the county or state where the tick bite occurred (i.e., CT, DE, DC, MA, MD, ME,      MN, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VA, VT, WI, WV).

I had Lyme disease about 18 years ago. Never saw the tick, never saw a rash. Much less awareness of Lyme Disease back then. Did not get correct diagnosis until I was very sick. I'm all good now, but very diligent.

Friggn' scurge, ticks are. I look forward to taking grandkids out bird hunting with the dog someday, but I'm concerned about exposing them to Lyme at all. I hope someone produces a great vaccine.