IGNORED

Found a deer tick biting me!!

Ugh. 

Took setter to the pink Saturday AM ....n the beagle to a local twp piece in PM....n somewhere along the travels picked up a deer tick...found it stuck to me sunday AM....plucked it off w tweezers n Rutgers Cooperative Extension center identified it as a female adult deer tick, not fully engorged.

Dr said wait for symptoms for 3-4 weeks before going on antibiotic.   I also sent tick to University of Massachusetts for further testing. 

My season has been horrible, now this potential BS!!

5 minutes ago, Bonefreak said:

Ugh. 

Took setter to the pink Saturday AM ....n the beagle to a local twp piece in PM....n somewhere along the travels picked up a deer tick...found it stuck to me sunday AM....plucked it off w tweezers n Rutgers Cooperative Extension center identified it as a female adult deer tick, not fully engorged.

Dr said wait for symptoms for 3-4 weeks before going on antibiotic.   I also sent tick to University of Massachusetts for further testing. 

Dude my season has been tough too, to top it off last week had a tick fully embedded in my neck, then the wife broke it off trying to get it out. My son spent an hour digging the head out with a needle. Left me with a gaping hole in my neck WTF So I may be F’d as well.

AWM

I've had Lymes twice, I now keep doxi in the medicine cabinet at all times. This past year I was diagnosed with another tick borne illness, Babesiosis. No fun and could've had serious serious problems but was able to knock it out pretty easily with medication. The problem is they don't check for it in a regular Lymes screening.

Edited by Woodsman416

21 minutes ago, Bonefreak said:

Ugh. 

Hey BF... Is there a reason to delay the antibiotics? I had 1 removed last year... Was given meds that day. I had no further symptoms I can't stand God**know ticks

2 hours ago, TouchofGrey said:

Hey BF... Is there a reason to delay the antibiotics? I had 1 removed last year... Was given meds that day. I had no further symptoms I can't stand God**know ticks

My doc said she doesn't like giving meds if it isn't needed....but if symptoms develop, she has em pre ordered at pharmacist. 

If University of Massachusetts test comes back positive...I think I will get the meds

57 minutes ago, Bonefreak said:

My doc said she doesn't like giving meds if it isn't needed....but if symptoms develop, she has em pre ordered at pharmacist. 

If University of Massachusetts test comes back positive...I think I will get the meds

BF... I wasn't questioning the Dr reasoning... I was interested to know because every time I get 1 that hasn't bitten I wonder do I need to go to the Dr if it had bitten. I didn't mean to come off questioning a diagnosis, I was looking for information... As a PS.. my deet spray is low and need another... I think I will get the permethean that was posted months ago

59 minutes ago, Buck154 said:

I have a couple every year bite into me and I have had any problems but I never had one checked. I think if they check a tick they will find always find something. Don't worry about it a see what the doctor says. 

You and me both.  I get at least a dozen ticks every year.   

I had a bite many years ago.  Pulled the tick out from behind my ankle and thought I got it out within the 24 hour window, even though there was a rash.   Asked to be tested a year later while having bloodwork done, and it came back negative.  Gastrologist wanted bloodwork done a couple months ago, so I asked for a lymes test again, years after the first test since there can be false negatives, and he said it came back positive.  Went to my GP and he read the same report as negative, but did another, more extensive blood test.  Still negative, but positive for an infection which may be from my crohns that I went to the gastrologist for, or even just a tooth infection.  There are two parts to the test, 1st will show infections , but if there is no string bonding in another part of the test then it isn't lymes.  That's actually written on the last bloodwork results when it came back so docs don't screw up the results, but they have to read the full report and not just the part where it says positive.  

I have no problem getting them to do a lymes test when they want to do bloodwork.  I just tell them I'm always in the woods and pulling ticks off me, and I want a lymes test done with the testing

Edited by Greybeard

8 hours ago, TouchofGrey said:

BF... I wasn't questioning the Dr reasoning... I was interested to know because every time I get 1 that hasn't bitten I wonder do I need to go to the Dr if it had bitten. I didn't mean to come off questioning a diagnosis, I was looking for information... As a PS.. my deet spray is low and need another... I think I will get the permethean that was posted months ago

Gotchya Touch!

I was just following the Rutgers Cooperative Extension recommendation to consult a doctor if a bite has actually occurred.