Jump to content
archer36

Is It Legal?

Recommended Posts

• When hunting during the overlapping firearms
seasons for deer and when in possession of the
proper permits for the current seasons, hunters
may carry the firearms legal for the current
seasons. For example, when Six-day Firearm and
Permit Muzzleloader seasons run concurrently, a
hunter may be in possession of a shotgun and either
a muzzleloading rifle or smoothbore muzzleloader

 

Cannot have a bow and a gun.

 

I see nothing about 2 shotguns.

  • Winner 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, archer36 said:

Shucks, I guess I have to stop using my explosive tip arrows. LOL

I know its illegal, I’m questioning the logic behind it

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, archer36 said:

There are areas where you can utilize both. It only has to be an area of mixed hardwoods and low brushy cover. I've had deer walk up to me 15 yds away and some I can shoot out to a 100 yds. Not advocating, just having some fun talking about it. 

Shooting through brush at a deer is unethical IMO.  But there is nothing that says the slug won't work at 15 yards as well as it will at 50, 100 or further.  Why bother with buckshot if you own a slug gun in the first place?  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

Shooting through brush at a deer is unethical IMO.  But there is nothing that says the slug won't work at 15 yards as well as it will at 50, 100 or further.  Why bother with buckshot if you own a slug gun in the first place?  

Who said anything about "shooting THROUGH brush"? Not trying to be argumentative about slugs vs buckshot, just stirring up some thoughts about legality. You may think it's futile to do so, but some people may see advantages to it. Automatically thinking it's ILLEGAL prevents them from doing so. 

Edited by archer36

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bucksnbows said:

Shooting through brush at a deer is unethical IMO.  But there is nothing that says the slug won't work at 15 yards as well as it will at 50, 100 or further.  Why bother with buckshot if you own a slug gun in the first place?  

I'll play devils advocate here as I have hunted and been succesful with both and have had problems with slugs that like an arrow are unforeseen. Slugs are great but have there limitations even inside of 40 yrds hit an unseen branch and your shot is off as archer said,  an oak flat might have some scrub oaks sticking up in this situation buckshot would def be your friend (assuming the gun is properly patterened).  In the event a quick follow up shot is needed buck shot would be your friend.  I use slugs when sitting on fields or known terrain where it's open during doe days or when I stand hunted during buck week.

  The issue with buck shot is alot of guys(I will say it mostly the gangs) do not pattern their guns to find the best combo for their gun wich leads to less than desired results..  I can tell you that at 60 yrds with one of my guns and buckshot the pattern I throw is 14 to 15 of 18 inside a pie plate.  Guys are also stuck on 00 and would be surprised what 1 buck does in there gun..

I've also seen guys at the range with slugs that cant hold a group but hit pie plate at 100 and say good enough,  to me you get the same results as the guy not knowing is gun with buck shot..

   In the end they both have there place know your set up and practice with whatever you choose to hunt with and you will be succesful

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, archer36 said:

Who said anything about "shooting THROUGH brush"? Not trying to be argumentative about slugs vs buckshot, just stirring up some thoughts about legality. You may think it's futile to do so, but some people may see advantages to it. Automatically thinking it's ILLEGAL prevents them from doing so. 

I said nothing about it being illegal....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since no one can show that carrying two shotguns during "shotgun" seasons is explicitly illegal (by omission) then we can conclude it's legal. So if you can see a benefit to using both then go at it. Certainly not practical for everyone and all situations. If you hunt out of a ground blind I see no downside except for carrying it out. If you hunt out of a treestand, having to deal with two guns in a cramped area can be troublesome. You decide. 

The purpose of the thread was to question something that most people will automatically think is illegal. 

Thanks for your input.

Edited by archer36

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The reason why I personally wouldn't do it is because if you have slugs in your possession, you need a shotgun with sights (or conversely, is it to be interpreted "you can't have a gun without sights in your possession"). If you have two SGs with you, and one is smoothbore for buckshot (and has no sights) are you in violation? You have a SG with sights with you, but you also have one that does not.

I dunno. As always, when in doubt, contact DFW and ask them directly.

https://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/contactform.htm

I always get an answer within 24- 48 hours when I ask questions like this - best to ask up front rather than have the conversation out in the field when it might be too late.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only illegal aliens can have multiple weapons, rape and kill and have Santuary in NJ. All others can only use one weapon when hunting. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

The reason why I personally wouldn't do it is because if you have slugs in your possession, you need a shotgun with sights (or conversely, is it to be interpreted "you can't have a gun without sights in your possession"). If you have two SGs with you, and one is smoothbore for buckshot (and has no sights) are you in violation? You have a SG with sights with you, but you also have one that does not.

I dunno. As always, when in doubt, contact DFW and ask them directly.

https://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/contactform.htm

I always get an answer within 24- 48 hours when I ask questions like this - best to ask up front rather than have the conversation out in the field when it might be too late.

 

That's a different area of legality. The regs specifically say that if you shoot slugs, you must have "sights" on your gun. If you possess two guns, one with sights and one without, you satisfy the requirement. NOW, if you were stopped in the field and checked and it was found that you had slugs in the weapon with NO sights, then you are in violation.

Good suggestion on emailing F+G.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

The reason why I personally wouldn't do it is because if you have slugs in your possession, you need a shotgun with sights (or conversely, is it to be interpreted "you can't have a gun without sights in your possession"). If you have two SGs with you, and one is smoothbore for buckshot (and has no sights) are you in violation? You have a SG with sights with you, but you also have one that does not.

I dunno. As always, when in doubt, contact DFW and ask them directly.

https://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/contactform.htm

I always get an answer within 24- 48 hours when I ask questions like this - best to ask up front rather than have the conversation out in the field when it might be too late.

 

Very good point. Also the limit of 3 rounds seams to be violated with two guns loaded with 3 rounds each.
I am guessing they will say not legal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, archer36 said:

That's a different area of legality. The regs specifically say that if you shoot slugs, you must have "sights" on your gun. If you possess two guns, one with sights and one without, you satisfy the requirement. NOW, if you were stopped in the field and checked and it was found that you had slugs in the weapon with NO sights, then you are in violation.

Good suggestion on emailing F+G.  

You are assuming your interpretation is correct. Being we are in NJ I would bet you are not. Make the call and let us know

Edited by Lunatic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 round 00 buck followed by 2 slugs.  That's the old school way to follow up shots, without having to carry an extra gun.  Legal or not, you shouldn't need to carry 2 guns for deer hunting.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

Very good point. Also the limit of 3 rounds seams to be violated with two guns loaded with 3 rounds each.
I am guessing they will say not legal.

Did you read post #7 by vdep217. He was told straight out by a CO that he could leave his gun with his friend and that it would not be a violation for him to have two guns in his possession. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...