Black Bear Bowhunter

6 Day firearm regs question

This year is my first year and the regs are not crystal clear so rather ask.

”Dec. 9-14, 2019
Season bag limit is two antlered deer. However, if a hunter harvests two antlered deer, he/she forfeits the opportunity to harvest an antlered deer during the Permit Shotgun Season. Only one buck may be taken at a time.”

- Can I shoot a buck report it and shoot another one?

- No does allowed during 6 Day firearm?

thanks for all insights!

Yes you can shoot two bucks within that week. If you shoot two you cannot shoot another during the regular permit shotgun season but if you shoot only one then you can shoot another during the permit season with the proper permits. 

You can shoot does only if you have a shotgun permit for the zone you are hunting. You do not need a buck permit within that week. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Correct. If you have a shotgun permit for the zone that you're hunting in then, you can shoot a doe. 

24 minutes ago, Tarhunt said:

Correct. If you have a shotgun permit for the zone that you're hunting in then, you can shoot a doe. 

But the doe has to be taken in the permit shotgun season, not during the 6 day, correct?

I just read the regs, in some zones the permit shotgun and 6 day firearm overlap. That does not occur in all zones. In the zone I hunt, they don’t overlap so I can’t take a doe during the 6 day. 

1 minute ago, OCbowhunter said:

But the doe has to be taken in the permit shotgun season, not during the 6 day, correct?

No. I you have your shotgun permit then, you can shoot a doe during buck week depending on your zone. 

1 minute ago, OCbowhunter said:

I just read the regs, in some zones the permit shotgun and 6 day firearm overlap. That does not occur in all zones. In the zone I hunt, they don’t overlap so I can’t take a doe during the 6 day. 

You beat me to it. 

What zone are you hunting, doe during buck week 6 day firearm are zone specific reg set 7&8 are the only ones that allow it.

9 minutes ago, mmfan36 said:

1 buck per day

"Only one buck may be taken at a time"

I take that as once the first is taken you have to check it in and only then you can shoot another and can be the same day 

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, BowhunterNJ said:

I take that as once the first is taken you have to check it in and only then you can shoot another and can be the same day 

You only have one 6 day buck tag. That means you can only harvest one at a "time". That means harvest, report, get confirmation number, and you can pursue a second. If that's "same" day or not is not clear. Once you report first buck, the system recognizes your ability to report a second. 

Let's get real here, if you shot two bucks "at once", and reported them separately, how would they know. It's a little unenforceable unless a CO catches you or someone reports you.

If you hunt a zone where it states "two deer may be taken at a time", you can shoot two does or a buck and a doe at the "same time" if properly licensed/permitted during a "permit" season. During 6 day, you would tag the buck with your 6 day license buck stub and the doe with your permit stub. 

You confused yet?

Edited by archer36

10 hours ago, BowhunterNJ said:

So can I call it in, keep hunting and kill another buck sane day?

So can I call it in, keep hunting and kill another buck sane day?

Yes. Once your buck is checked and you have your confirmation number, you can kill another buck. Same day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Agree 2

28 minutes ago, Devil Horns said:

Yes. Once your buck is checked and you have your confirmation number, you can kill another buck. Same day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stupid rule but I guess we have many. I can shoot it, call in without getting down And keep hunting. 
thanks

This is one of those "rules/regs" that you can ask 6 CO's and get different answers. Bottom line is you have 1 stub which means can only call in one at a time.