Bully

Climber or Hang On/Sticks

3 minutes ago, Hitemnasty said:

Exactly and that was the advice I gave him in my first comment on this thread. To me there’s no way to have only one setup! I keep four different options in the back of my truck all season because you just don’t know how things will work out sometimes. 

Thats funny. My truck is always loaded with my sticks. two different hang ons-light and heavier and a lone wolf climber:-)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

Thats funny. My truck is always loaded with my sticks. two different hang ons-light and heavier and a lone wolf climber:-)

Like how you think! My fourth option is a ghille jacket, turkey seat which is kinda like a small beach chair and a bow holder that sticks in the dirt. 

2 minutes ago, Hitemnasty said:

Like how you think! My fourth option is a ghille jacket, turkey seat which is kinda like a small beach chair and a bow holder that sticks in the dirt. 

In  my truck as well :happywave:

I used a Lone Wolf climber for the last 15 years. Just this past year I switched to Hawk Helium sticks (4) and a Lone Wolf Assault hang on. Best set up I ever hunted. Super mobile, climb any tree, and not bad on weight. Seat folds all the way back to make a shelf for your backpack. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, njbowhntr said:

I used a Lone Wolf climber for the last 15 years. Just this past year I switched to Hawk Helium sticks (4) and a Lone Wolf Assault hang on. Best set up I ever hunted. Super mobile, climb any tree, and not bad on weight. Seat folds all the way back to make a shelf for your backpack. 

The assault does? After seeing the D'Acquitos stand wondered how I could mod my assault. Please share.

I usually hunt from a hang-on, which is my favorite. BUT,,,,,I killed both bucks this year with my climber. I have a Lone Wolf sit and climb and highly recommend it if that's the direction you go. My lock-on is on a bait site, so my big buck I setup on heading to it and with a good wind. Second buck was a rut buck which if you're in the right place anything can happen. If it's a lock on,,,,,only hunt it on a good wind. If you can do both, in time, that's what I would do. 

So, a....  

I'm sorry I missed all this.  I was out hunting (I managed to kill some time at least!).  Thanks to all for all the advice.  I really appreciate it.  I'm hoping to hear more.  

3 hours ago, Hitemnasty said:

I’m not kidding when I say I can be setup with my api bowhunter in a few minutes with no clanging and climb as quiet as a squirrel. I’ve done it so many times I don’t even need a light in the dark to do it. I also believe the api is a more user friendly climber that sets up faster, quieter and can climb quickly compared to summit and lone wolf which I’ve used all three.

I do completely agree with you on your other points about the tree and going in blind needing a more flexible setup. I never said climber was more versatile, just faster and more comfortable. I only bring mine in if I know I have the tree already picked out. You also said the climber is much heavier than a portable setup, gonna disagree on that too because my four sticks and XOP stand are damn near as heavy as my climber and my Millennium with the big seat and foot rest is every bit as heavy as the climber with sticks packed on.

I don’t find my Millennium seat as comfortable as my climber seat either, climber has armrests and thick padded seat that keeps me warmer. It also gets in the way when standing up causing extra movement to fold it out of the way. I feel a lot safer taking a quick nap in my climber seat. I actually use my upper climber section on all my permanent stands as I remove all those small, uncomfortable seats. Also seems to work as a theft deterrent as I have many on public land that never get touched!   

I have both climber and stand and sticks..  I have one of  the lightest climber on the market at 11 lbs.  My stand n stick combo is an old small api that weighs 6 lbs and 3 sticks from sports mans guide at 4 lbs a piece putting me at 15 for that set up..  once you are used to it I'm ready in both in about the same time.

13 hours ago, kanigie said:

The assault does? After seeing the D'Acquitos stand wondered how I could mod my assault. Please share.

For the Assualt II I did not have to modify anything to get the seat to fold back like a shelf. 

326CA480-7BCB-4602-8C96-3AD67B45393E.jpeg

Edited by njbowhntr
Added ohoto

On 12/3/2019 at 6:50 AM, njbowhntr said:

For the Assualt II I did not have to modify anything to get the seat to fold back like a shelf. 

326CA480-7BCB-4602-8C96-3AD67B45393E.jpeg

The seat locks into the platform to support weight? My assault is 10 years old and unless I'm missing something very obviously mine is lacking this feature.

2 hours ago, kanigie said:

The seat locks into the platform to support weight? My assault is 10 years old and unless I'm missing something very obviously mine is lacking this feature.

Does not lock in to support weight. Just folds all the way back. I use para-cord or the tree stand straps to hold seat up when pack is on it. 

• Like 1

On 12/2/2019 at 8:22 PM, vdep217 said:

I have both climber and stand and sticks..  I have one of  the lightest climber on the market at 11 lbs.  My stand n stick combo is an old small api that weighs 6 lbs and 3 sticks from sports mans guide at 4 lbs a piece putting me at 15 for that set up..  once you are used to it I'm ready in both in about the same time.

What climber do you have? 11lb is crazy light 

2 hours ago, Lunatic said:

What climber do you have? 11lb is crazy light 

X stand sit n climb but I take the bar off it becomes the x 1 minnie..  comfort is that of  a hang on though

Screenshot_20191204-153257_Web Browser.jpg

Edited by vdep217
  • Like 1