Bully

Climber or Hang On/Sticks

I'm betwixt and between on this.  

So, just so we're all on the same page, I'm not looking to buy a hang on from a big box and some inexpensive sticks.  I'd be looking at something more akin to either the Lone Wolf Assault or the XOP version of the same.  Same with the climber, I'm looking at a Lone Wolf.  

I'm hoping to get my ass out this summer and spend some time learning to actually hunt.  Not "hunt" as in show up over a bait pile and kill deer.  "Hunt" as in, learn to read sign and figure out where the deer might actually be without baiting.  I have a couple of gents that are willing to help me in that vein.  Additionally I'd like to get out and hunt some bigger public land.  Stokes, Watershed, etc.  Mostly northern parts of the state (I'm blessed with a wife that understands and allows me some time to get out and do such).  As such, I'm trying to figure out what would be my best and most versatile option.  I don't have tons of money and what I do have is going to get spent on my home and some vacations this year.  FWIW, I'm relatively fit, 51, and pretty able bodied.  Thank God.

That's the story...

Any help would be appreciated.  

Id say if you want total mobility a climber is your best bet. You can be in,up,and out quickly. Setting up a lock on and sticks is time and noise. I prefer a lock on but i put it up and leave it. I have an aluminum summit viper that worked the few times i used it but its just not for me.

• Like 1
  • Disagree 2

The most versatile setup is going to be stand with sticks. This will get you setup just about anywhere in the RIGHT spot a climber a lot of times has you searching more for the right tree rather than the best spot. 

With that said though, climbers are imo easier and quieter than setting up stand and sticks just not always in the right spot. They’re also more comfortable for long sits. 

I have the XOP Vanish and lone wolf sticks but if I didn’t already have lone wolf sticks I would get the Hawks as they have double steps. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Your wife "allows you" and you think you are blessed? :shock::happywave::shock:

But seriously. I have both, lone wolf sit on climber and lone wolf sticks I used with two different hang on's.
I love both of them and each has its place. However; if I had to just have one system it would be the sticks.
With sticks you can get up any tree, and be more hidden as you don't need a telephone pole like you do for the climber. If I am going blind to a new area climber stays home and sticks are coming with me.  I use the climber on trees I scouted before hand and trees I return to because for me climber requires little less energy to get up and down and once you are up everything else is up with you, nothing left down below for deer to smell.

BTW hunting without being a slave to your baited area is so much more interesting and rewarding

Edited by Lunatic
  • Agree 2

25 minutes ago, mattg1500 said:

Id say if you want total mobility a climber is your best bet. You can be in,up,and out quickly. Setting up a lock on and sticks is time and noise. I prefer a lock on but i put it up and leave it. I have an aluminum summit viper that worked the few times i used it but its just not for me.

I don't think you are talking about portable small sticks. They can be as quiet as you can be with a climber and you are most likely not getting up any quicker with your climber. With a good selection of a hang on they will be lighter than most climbers
If you want total mobility you go with sticks which allow you to climb any tree, something you can not do with a climber

Edited by Lunatic
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

19 minutes ago, Hitemnasty said:

They’re also more comfortable for long sits. 

You don't actually site on sticks:happywave:

Get used to a good set of sticks and a comfortable hang on .

will never use a climber again and spend time hunting for an available tree .

a hang on can go on every tree a climber can , and many more a climber can’t .

• Like 2

If you can only have 1 (climber or hang on w/ sticks) I think you should go with a hang on w/ sticks.  A climber is just too limiting.  You end out hunting trees not bucks.  That being said, I have both and love my climber..it is more comfy and easier to climb.  

35 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

I don't think you are talking about portable small sticks. They can be as quiet as you can be with a climber and you are most likely not getting up any quicker with your climber. With a good selection of a hang on they will be lighter than most climbers
If you want total mobility you go with sticks which allow you to climb any tree, something you can not do with a climber

I’m going on o have to disagree with you here! I can be in and out of the tree, fully setup or broke down with my climber in a matter of few minutes. Stand and sticks is at least a 10-15 minute process if everything goes smoothly. Dealing with linesman belts, extra sticks hanging from you as you climb, two different hoist ropes and hopefully the don’t snag on a stick on the way up. That’s also going maybe ten feet higher in the climber. Another plus going up in a climber you can pull the bow up at anytime to shoot if deer start coming in while going up which happens often. 

11 minutes ago, Hitemnasty said:

I’m going on o have to disagree with you here! I can be in and out of the tree, fully setup or broke down with my climber in a matter of few minutes. Stand and sticks is at least a 10-15 minute process if everything goes smoothly. Dealing with linesman belts, extra sticks hanging from you as you climb, two different hoist ropes and hopefully the don’t snag on a stick on the way up. That’s also going maybe ten feet higher in the climber. Another plus going up in a climber you can pull the bow up at anytime to shoot if deer start coming in while going up which happens often. 

I can put 4 sticks on a tree and hang a stand in well under 10 minutes .

if was racing I could probably beat a guy opening his climber and getting it set onto the tree to climb.

But I will say I’m not using a lineman’s belt . .

and as far as comfort their isn’t a climber as comfortable as a millennium type seat .

24 minutes ago, Hitemnasty said:

10 to 15 minutes is good and I don't think you get in with a climber too much under ten. Then consider what you need for a climber. You need telephone pole, in many areas impossible to find, or you are sawing branches as you go. . then when you get up there you are sticking out like a sore thumb without one single branch to conceal you. If you are going in blind you take your sticks because like someone said with a climber you end up hunting for a tree to climb. I give you one thing, climber requires little less energy to get up but a climber in no way is more versatile, not even close.

Edited by Lunatic

Sticks and lock on. Once you get used to it, you'll be able to hang one quicker than getting in a tree with a climber. You can also get into any tree you want unlike climbers. I sold 2 of my climbers to fund a run and gun set and I haven't looked back. Picked up the Hawk Helium sticks because I like the double step option and they were on sale for $100. Bought 2 packs of them (3 in a pack), sold 2 sticks on Archery Talk and was only in the hole about $130 for 4 sticks. Any big name lock on will work so that's personal preference.......but if you do end up going with a climber, Summits are way more comfortable than the LW.

Midway has a sale going on for Hawk Helium Climbing Sticks now. $89.99 for 3. I like them, but they are a little sharp on your hands compared to other sticks and I would recommend 4 sticks for a set up.