IGNORED

Crossbow advice please

1 hour ago, Hunter115522 said:

Looking to get my dad a crossbow. He has hunted with the compound his entire life, but it's time for him to make the switch. Anyway I know nothing about them. A friend of mine told me about the crossbow I linked below, it's been $1,000 everywhere and I see it's on sportsman guide for $600. Is this deal too good to be true? Anyone know anything about this bow? In the research I've done it seems to be very highly rated. I would appreciate any feedback, thanks guys

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/tenpoint-turbo-gt-crossbow-package-with-acudraw-pro-175-lb-draw-weight?a=1933968&pm2d=CSE-SPG-15-PLA&utm_medium=PLA&utm_source=Google&utm_campaign=CI&gclid=Cj0KCQiAiZPvBRDZARIsAORkq7cAg2vqXP6KKdq-GOPsqA0GVHZA09UOgAP6xmPv6q4qS6-nhtFC0AAaAkkgEALw_wcB

That's a good bow and a good deal,so your dad's never shot a crossbow before maybe there's a bow shop by you where he can go shoot some.

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

In regards to being he's never shot a crossbow before. Warning he needs to be conscious of his hand that holds the forearm, my instinct of holding a gun the thumb sticks up.first time I shot a crossbow I almost took it off. I've done it twice so far ouch it hurts :banghead:lol

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

3 hours ago, KBfishing said:

How old is your dad? Mine is 73 and has problems with the weight of the crossbow and keeping it steady. I bought a pse fang lt and it is light and manageble and it cost $230. I upgraded the scope to the tact zone. It shoots about 350 fps. Not bad for the price. I have a wicked ridge with the built.in rope and it is too heavy for him

Another vote for the  PSE Fang. Great xbow for the money, but upgraded scope is a must. I would def check one out

I purchased a Barnett Vengeance.  Very happy with it.  If I were to do it again, I would give this a look.

I wasn't happy with the scope.  Illuminated + cheap = not happy.

I purchased the Nikon Bolt and had a great setup for under $1000 at the time of purchase.  Shoots 150gr heads with carbon bolts reliably at 320fps.

While I love my new “cheap” cross man/centerpoint sniper 370, my first love was Excalibur recurve crossbows.  You can’t go wrong with the simplicity of their design, easy maintenance and super, super accurate.  I would check them out, it’s for Dad so I don’t have to tell you to not cheap out, haha.  Good luck!  

I second the Barnett, I bought the Ghost 375 3 years ago and have had no issues, its a little bulky to carry but once its on the hanger that doesn't matter. Its very accurate,quiet and blows a bolt through a deer like hot butter, on that note I recommend lighted knocks or you will be kissing your bolts goodbye!

Edited by bucky