IGNORED

Slug Gun

pjb

The 870 with cantilever barrel shoots sst slugs very well. He can buy the barrel and a Timney and be just as happy. It needs to shoot minute of deer not stack one on top of the other. I have about 200 rounds through my 220 and am starting to notice patterns growing.
Interesting. Do you think it's a gun issue or a scope issue.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, pjb said:

Interesting. Do you think it's a gun issue or a scope issue.

My gutbis telling me its an ammo issue but.... Im not sure how the rifling holds up in a Savage but I believe when Remington released the new more expensive Barnes load they laxed o nthe accutips. My last few older boxes were tight as can be. The past 6 boxes of new stuff has been extremely inconsistant in 2 220s. I may scrub it good with copper cleaner and then foul it up again and see how it shoots. They shoot best dirty. Spring time will tell

I'd shop by price.

I have an 870 and it is great.

Although, I do not have the220, I believe Savage is one of the most under-rated firearms out there.  Great overall value. 

That said, you want accuracy, not precision.  I would say that both are about the same in terms of accuracy.

I would not worry about losing zero: you're not shooting long or medium ranges.  I have the fully rifled cantilevered barrel and there are no accuracy problems after swapping barrels.

Unfortunately, the trigger on my 870 was creepy and had a lot of over and pre-travel.  I ordered the Timney 870 fix and it made things worse!  Maybe it just needs more fine tuning.  However, it's nothing like the drop in unit Timney makes for the Remington 700.

Again, I would shop by price: buy the barrel.

5 hours ago, MikeStaten said:

I like the idea of having a dedicated slug gun and not worrying about the gun being off when I swap back and forth between bird and slug barrels so I got a Savage 220.  As you know, they are extremely accurate and have a great trigger. 

That sounds like a solid plan.  :up:

Many years ago I had a 12 gauge 1100 converted into a dedicated slug gun. I had the receiver drilled and tapped for mounts, put on a 3x9 Leopold scope, and a rifled Hastings barrel to finish it off. It is a nice gun on the bench, but not so nice to me in the stand because of the trigger.

I keep hearing all this good stuff about the 220, but I have to get the trigger replaced  on the 1100 before I put this gun in the closet forever only to collect dust.

I had a mossberg 500 with the field barrel , and the cantilever slug barrel . The thing shot well ... but to be honest , I got tired of switching the barrel out . I would use the slug barrel all day then swap it at night to hunt coyotes and it grew to be a pain in the butt . I ended up getting a 220 , and would never look back . Two months later I bought a semi auto 12 gauge and with exception of for when a buddy wanted to try out some waterfowl hunting , the 500 has collected dust but that’s just the way it goes sometimes . Not to mention I also just last year purchased a muzzleloader and now I don’t think the 220 will come out much anymore . 

I had a mossberg 500 with the field barrel , and the cantilever slug barrel . The thing shot well ... but to be honest , I got tired of switching the barrel out . I would use the slug barrel all day then swap it at night to hunt coyotes and it grew to be a pain in the butt . I ended up getting a 220 , and would never look back . Two months later I bought a semi auto 12 gauge and with exception of for when a buddy wanted to try out some waterfowl hunting , the 500 has collected dust but that’s just the way it goes sometimes . Not to mention I also just last year purchased a muzzleloader and now I don’t think the 220 will come out much anymore . 
...if you need to get rid of that 220, let me know.