IGNORED

Timberdoodle Party

Batsto

1 hour ago, ElevatedHunter said:

May I ask a question? I do not know a whole lot about timberdoodles.. is that another name for woodcock? Also where do you guys focus your hunting for them? Around rivers or fields like pheasants? Sorry, total newb when it comes to anything other then pheasants right now. haha

Look for real thick stuff/cover. They love worms. Look for soft ground around briars and you may find the Mr. woodcock. 

1 hour ago, Lunatic said:

Nice job, I could never hit those little feathered bullets and believe me I tried. I suck at it!!

back in the day when I was more into small game than deer-  I was probably 90% on ducks/pheasant, 60% on Woodcock, and .05% on Ruffed Grouse....   Woodcock just needed more open choke and #9 shot but I didn't always tailor the tool to the job.        I think for my own sanity, I need to take a break from deer hunting and get back to what I enjoyed most as my youth.  Walking for miles with a dog, taking in the fresh air.  I have completely lost that balance and I am probably at the point in NJ where I should give deer a break and focus on other things. 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

13 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

back in the day when I was more into small game than deer-  I was probably 90% on ducks/pheasant, 60% on Woodcock, and .05% on Ruffed Grouse....   Woodcock just needed more open choke and #9 shot but I didn't always tailor the tool to the job.        I think for my own sanity, I need to take a break from deer hunting and get back to what I enjoyed most as my youth.  Walking for miles with a dog, taking in the fresh air.  I have completely lost that balance and I am probably at the point in NJ where I should give deer a break and focus on other things. 

Looks like someone got "the talk" from someone.......:rofl:

3 hours ago, Batsto said:

The migration is in full swing. We flushed over 30 birds this morning in 4.5 hours of hunting.  I stopped counting at 30. We also jumped a few pheasants. Approximate flush rate was 9 birds an hour. My dog was exhausted to say the least.   

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Great pics and day 

10 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

Getting back to the beginning is the best way to have fun again. Sometimes this chasing after ghosts can become very monotonous. 

9 hours ago, JHbowhunter said:

I'm in the same boat.  I got into duck hunting a bit this year to break it up, and went on a quail trip too.  Lots more action than sitting in a stand and getting 1 shot if you're lucky.

6 hours ago, SPEARFISH said:

I'm in the same boat.  I got into duck hunting a bit this year to break it up, and went on a quail trip too.  Lots more action than sitting in a stand and getting 1 shot if you're lucky.

Dennis try late season Goose in the fields. That's my thing I like to get away from passing everything all year. Fun to go out be able to pull the trigger and watch some things fall.

19 hours ago, Batsto said:

The migration is in full swing. We flushed over 30 birds this morning in 4.5 hours of hunting.  I stopped counting at 30. We also jumped a few pheasants. Approximate flush rate was 9 birds an hour. My dog was exhausted to say the least.   

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Great pictures and dog. Best eating game bird

4 hours ago, Buck154 said:

Dennis try late season Goose in the fields. That's my thing I like to get away from passing everything all year. Fun to go out be able to pull the trigger and watch some things fall.

I 'll have to try.  I think I have some geese decoys still out in the shed.